PyAim

Ok… I installed and configured it and it shows up in the Admin console:

•  Domain       Name       Category       Type       Creation Date       Last Activity       Close Connection

1 aim.commanddotcom.com AIM Transport gateway aim 10:53 AM 10:59 AM +

It also shows up when I browse in PSI for service, however, the contact that is added to my roster for the transport always shows up as “Offline” and will not let me do anything.

So… I’‘m wondering if this is a problem I’'m having with my set-up, or if I did something wrong, or if this is even a problem that belongs here. Any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

-A

Ok let me run you through the steps that I know work…

-You’'ve done the Python / Twisted

-You start PyAIM with feedback but no stop errors

-You login to JM admin and see it listed in the component sessions

-You run PSI service discovery and see aim.yourdomain.com

-(im going to assume you’'ve setup the necessary DNS records)

-You right click on AIM gateway and choose register

-You enter your pre-existing AOL screen name and password

-A roster item appears in PSI of AIM.yourdomain.com and you do the necessary granting of authorizations.

-You choose add contact in PSI and select AOL as the service, then enter the screenname.

-You reply to the necessary auth requests.

-You start chatting…

That should be it…

Best of Luck

Peter

Thanks for the help! Here’‘s what I’‘ve done. where I’'m getting stuck…

-You’'ve done the Python / Twisted

Done

How do I start it w/ feedback… There’'s no real good info on their site

-You login to JM admin and see it listed in the component sessions

Yes. I see it listed

-You run PSI service discovery and see aim.yourdomain.com

I can see that

-(im going to assume you’'ve setup the necessary DNS records)

What records do I have to add? I’‘ve added aim.commanddotcom.com, but I’‘m not entirely sure I did it correctly since I did it through CPanel on the serevr and not directly into the DNS server (which I really don’‘t know how to do and am a bit scared to do anyway since I don’'t want to break the box)

-You enter your pre-existing AOL screen name and password

-A roster item appears in PSI of AIM.yourdomain.com and you do the necessary granting of authorizations.

I can’'t select register, but I can add it to my roster

-You choose add contact in PSI and select AOL as the service, then enter the screenname.

-You reply to the necessary auth requests.

-You start chatting…

Wish I could get to this step…

Hey Adam,

So it seems that the register option is disabled. Could you try using the latest nightly build and the Exodus client? If the problem persists you may open the debug window in Exodus (press F12) and post the disco#info packets that you see. You should see an iq:register feature in the disco#info of the gateway.

Regards,

– Gato

Well your half way there…

How do I start it w/ feedback… There’'s no real good

info on their site

Sorry what I meant was that PyAIM makes a lot of “noise” when it starts but as long as it doesn’'t die on you your OK

-(I’‘m going to assume you’'ve setup the necessary DNS

records)

What records do I have to add? I’'ve added

aim.commanddotcom.com, but I’'m not entirely sure I

did it correctly since I did it through CPanel on the

serevr and not directly into the DNS server (which I

really don’'t know how to do and am a bit scared to do

anyway since I don’'t want to break the box)

I’'m going to assume that your domain really is commanddotcom.com

If that is the case then you need an alias of aim.commanddotcom.com pointing to commanddotcom.com. Presently there is no record of aim.commanddotcom.com

-You enter your pre-existing AOL screen name and

password

-A roster item appears in PSI of AIM.yourdomain.com

and you do the necessary granting of authorizations.

I can’'t select register, but I can add it to my

roster

Don’‘t quote me on this but I think if you don’'t have the NS record for AIM.domain.com you cant register with it.

So if you resolve (pardon the pun) the NS issue, and follow the rest of the instructions you should be golden.

Best of Luck

Peter

Hey Peter,

In my local tests with different gateways I never had to add a DNS entry for the gateway service JID and I was able to use them. Do you know which would be the reason for having a DNS entry for the gateway? My only guess is so that users of a remote server may use the gateway service in a local server. So adding a DNS entry (if they are not using JM) would be the only way to find the service.

Regards,

– Gato

hmmmm…

I’‘m no expert here so… take this with a grain of salt. I’'ve moved from Jabberd1.4 to 2.0 to JM over the last year so my details are based on blended experiences and what has worked for me.

When working with J1.4 the conf files specified the gateways and how to communicate with them, you speced the IP and ports and secrets etc…

When I moved to J2 the component did its on registration with the server and the gateway conf required a resolvable JID so I DNS’'d every gateway and component I had.

When I moved to JM2 I kept the same practices and have had no problems getting PyXXX working with JM or almost any other component.

When you say local, how local are we talking? localhost? that might be the difference.

DNS records are cheap, when in doubt add’'em.

Peter

Hey Peter,

When you say local, how local are we talking?

localhost? that might be the difference.

DNS records are cheap, when in doubt add’'em.

By local I mean a server with any hostname that is accessed by users from any PC. So if there is no DNS entry for the gateway address then only the local users of the server may use the gateway service unless the remote server is another JM server or other server with smart find out logic.

By smart find-out logic I mean: if a user connected to a local server with hostname example.com sends a packet to msn.myserver.com and there is no DNS entry for msn.myserver.com then the local server will try to reach myserver.com assuming that msn is a service hosted by that server.

Regards,

– Gato

Gato…

It seems to be logging me onto Aim, so thanks for the help. You wouldn’‘t happen to know a good Mac client would you (I don’‘t have Tiger so I can’‘t use iChat). I don’‘t use my PC as my primary box, so while Exodus was good for getting things working, it’‘s not practical to keep using it since that’'s not my main box.

Anyway… It looks to be a PSI problem at this point… I’‘m going to see if I can contact them with the bug now (it doesn’'t show anyone online even though I know they are)

Thanks for all the help! You guys are great!

-A

So Adam,

did I miss a step here some where…

You had PSI on a PC and could not connect properly to your AIM Gateway? And I’'m guessing that this was all on one Windows PC. But Exodus worked fine? weird cuz all I use is PSI.

As for a Apple client, I’‘ve always like PSI on the mac but If it was the source of your probs I can see you wanting to try something else. I’'ve setup JabberFox before, probably a good a bet or checkout http://www.jabber.org/software/clients.shtml and try a couple.

Peter

Hi Adam,

It seems to be logging me onto Aim, so thanks for the

help. You wouldn’'t happen to know a good Mac client

would you (I don’‘t have Tiger so I can’'t use iChat).

I’'m a big fan of url=http://www.adiumx.com/Adium[/url].

Cheers,

Ryan

Peter… I never used PSI on the PC… In fact, I hadn’‘t had the PC on until I was asked to use Exodus. Like I said, it’‘s not my main computer and most of the time just sits in the corner… It’‘s an older P3/650 running Win 98SE that I got my Freshman year of college, so it’‘s 5 or so years old. I just have it around still for the like 3 sites that don’'t work on Mac. Damn WIndows only sites!!!

Anyway, PSI will connect to my server, it just wouldn’‘t connect to the gateway. Now, what’‘s going on is that I got the gateway set up with Exodus, but PSI won’‘t show that any of my AIM friends are online. I am, however, able to log on from another SN to AIM and IM back and forth between the jabber client and AIM so it’‘s online (and it’‘ll show that I’'m online on the AIM client), so part of me is thinking that it might be a bug in their client.

Ryan… I’‘ve been using Adium because it’‘s the only good multi-service client on the Mac, though, it tends to crash randomly on my system. From what I can tell, though, it doesn’'t have a full implementation of the Jabber client.

-A

We’‘ll I do know that the gateway “works” but I cant qualify how well; I only have one person on AOL and that’‘s my Father, so I only see him on once in a while, but I do see his presence come on and go off. He doesn’'t keep AIM open so I dont know if he sees me or not.

Peter

Adam,

I’'m not a Mac user (last time I used a Mac was 10 years ago) but like Ryan said Adium seems to be a nice client.

Regards,

– Gato

It seems like I’'m having a similar issue. The PyAIM transport shows up under Component Services and I get the option to register. Everything seems to work find but it always shows me as “Not Registered” in Pandion or “Offline” in Miranda.

I have DNS pointing to my aim. subdomain.

Are there any log files that might help me diagnose what is happening here? I can see any entries in the Jive Messenger logs.

Nathan