Question about setup openfire for a big number of user and some issues! plz help!

Hi, everybody. Im going to build a messenger system for a big number of user using standard Openfire version (not Enterprise). I think the system is going to handle about 15,000 to 20,000 CCU.

What should I do for a best configuration ?

• As I’ve read and learnt from this forum. I have to config my Java Memory from 64mb to … maybe 1gb ??? what is the limit for java memory configuation and what is the best?

• Do I have to install Connection Manager? how many server should i have to install Connection Manager? like this picture: http://www.igniterealtime.org/images/connection-managers.gif , is it mean that I have to install 3 CM on 3 server ?

• With the resources below, how many CCU my server can handle?
    Xeon Quadcore X 3210 2.13Ghz
    4 gb DDR Ram
    Openfire 3.4.5 (waiting for 3.5)

• When I install openfire on Windows, there is a step require me to enter the number of connection to MySQL server. with the number of 15,000 to 20,000 CCU , how should i modify this value to satisfy the system?

• How’s about the system requirements and configuration for 100.000 CCU???

no one help me!

Hi mandepchai,

Your question is hard to answer, since you need to provide us with some more details on what your users will be doing / how many buddies each will have, etc. Those can really task your database and server. Here is my attempt to answer your questions in order.

I am not sure of the java memory limit, it may be 2 GB, but I am not sure.

CM are probably a good idea, I am not sure how many you would absolutely need. Maybe start with 2 and then test your environment.

Again, there is no 1 to 1 metric for handing connections versus hardware. I would think that machine could handle your load.

The number of database connections can’t be any higher than the number your database server allows. I have mine set to 50, but not nearly as many clients as you will have.

You will definetely need CM then and probably want to look at Enterprise for some clustering to help. Hard to imagine having such a large userbase going against 1 server.

daryl

Dear all

From my test yesterday only 1 instant of openfire wuthout connectionamanger can support ccu only less than 1000 user

connect, disconnesct , send message, annouce presence every 10 minutes

which I has been set linux with " ulimit -n 10000 but it still be the same.

In jabberd and e-jabberd it can set limit the ccu user . but i don’t know and cannot find any info about limit of openfire.

need someonr help too.

BR,

Sang

Hi,

As I’ve read and learnt from this forum. I have to config my Java Memory from 64mb to … maybe 1gb ??? what is the limit for java memory configuation and what is the best?

Depends on your operating system and 32/64 bit. For 32 bit it’s usually about 2 GB (Xmx).

Do I have to install Connection Manager?

With the resources below, how many CCU my server can handle?

For 50000 users a connection manager should not be necessary, see http://www.igniterealtime.org/about/OpenfireScalability.pdf

When I install openfire on Windows, there is a step require me to enter the number of connection to MySQL server.

Keep it low, I wonder it the new connection pool displays the used connections. Openfire caches a lot / the whole database if the caches are tuned fine, so it should only write to the database if one logs in or out or changes the vCard or to store offline messages.

How’s about the system requirements and configuration for 100.000 CCU???

Send a mail to Jivesoftware, I guess that you want professional help and maybe also a cluster instead of connection managers.

LG