Quick question on Server-to-Server communications

We’'ve been using Jive Messenger here, and are considering deploying it soon. There is one question I do have about Server-to-Server communications:

Say I have two sites: Site A and Site B. Computers within the network of Site A cannot talk to the computers in Site B. However, the Jive Messenger server at both sites have been configured appropriately to allow S2S to occur. Since the servers can communicate with each other, does that mean users at both sites can send messages to each other? Or will the actual networks neet to be reconfigured.

You’'ve got a great product here & looking forward to putting it into production use.

Hi Pc,

Since the servers can communicate with each other, does that mean users at

both sites can send messages to each other?

Yes, that is exactly what that means. Once user@sitea adds user@siteb to their roster, they would be able to message each other.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

One other question (I should have asked this sooner):

I’‘m working on a roll out proposal for out corporate IM. My plan is to have each remote site get its own server & enable S2S. Here’'s my question:

Say you ahve 3 servers: A,B,C. Server A can talk to Server B. Server B can talk to Server A & C. Does that mean that Server A can talk to Server C? Or do I need to specifically sprficy the servers allowed to communicate?

Thanks! Awesome product guys. Keep up the great work.

Hi Pc,

Does that mean that Server A can talk to Server C?

Yes.

Or do I need to specifically sprficy the servers allowed to communicate?

No.

Any other questions?

By default, Messenger will automically try to route messages from users on one server to any other server. If you wanted to lock your environment down a bit further you could use the “White List” feature so that only your three servers could talk to each other. So, on serverA you’‘d add serverB and serverC to it’‘s whitelist, on serverB you’‘d add serverA and serverC, and on serverC you’'d add server A and serverC.

Does that make sense?

Regards,

Ryan

Awesome.

And; since you asked so nicely :stuck_out_tongue:

How does Jive Messanger do on a dual homed system? Can you pick the card? Run two servers, one on each?

That should just about do it for me.

Ok, unrelated note; I noticed the server asks for an SMTP server. My question is: what would it do if it had access to one?

How does Jive Messanger do on a dual homed system?

Can you pick the card? Run two servers, one on each?

I don’‘t know, but I would suspect it wouldn’'t be an issue to do so. Maybe someone else who has tried it can chime in.

Ok, unrelated note; I noticed the server asks for an

SMTP server. My question is: what would it do if it

had access to one?

Out-of-the-box Messenger doesn’‘t use it, but there are some plugins, like the registration and upcoming V2 Stats that use it for notification purposes. It basically serves two purposes, one, it allows developers to extend the functionality of Messenger though the use of email without requiring them to write their own mail service. And two, it gives admins a single place to configure Messenger’'s mail service.

Cheers,

Ryan