RADIUS Authentication

Hello all,

Does Jive Messenger support RADIUS authentication? RADIUS authentication would greatly simplify authentication against the AD (using IAS) and would allow authentication against just about anything else (as RADIUS is a widely used authentication standard). If RADIUS authentication is not supported, is there any chance of it being implemented? I’'ve actually worked a bit with the protocol and can attest to how easy it is to query a RADIUS server (just build a simple packet, send, and wait for reply).

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan,

Radius is not currently supported. However, the authentication code in Jive Messenger is pluggable by implementing the AuthProvider interface. Would you be interested in helping to create that code?

Regards,

Matt

Matt,

I’‘d be very interested in helping to write a plug-in. I found jRadius jradius.sourceforge.net which might be very useful. It appears to have a Radius Client API that might be portable to Jive. Let me know what you think, I really don’‘t have much Java experience but with the ldapAuth code as an example I could probably knock something out. I’'m just having a bit of a hard time figuring out exactly what parts of jRadius I need to implement the client behavior.

-Ryan

Message was edited by:

yutlin

Ryan,

For now, it looks like you’‘d need to just use plain-text auth since Jive Messenger doesn’'t support SASL. This is very similar to the situation with LDAP. The following page seems to show how to make an integration possible:

http://jradius.sourceforge.net/radiusclient.html

Let us know if you need further assistance.

-Matt

Hello,

We saw that you found our JRadius project. If you need any help getting started with the JRadius RadiusClient in your development of the Jive Messenger plug-in, do not hesitate to ask. We recently introduced support for EAP-TTLS!

-pp

Pico,

Thanks for visiting the forums! We’‘d love to get JRadius integrated and I’'m hoping that either we or a community member will have time to do so in the near future.

Regards,

Matt

Here is a radius client plugin for Messenger.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/jradius/jive-messenger-jradius-plugin-0_1.zip ?download

Let me know if you have questions or comments.

Cheers

Does this require a newer version of Jive Messenger than 2.1.3? I get the following error when I try to start Messenger after configuring the module:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jivesoftware/messenger/JiveGlobals

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.radius.JRadiusAuthProvider.(JRadiusAuthProvide r.java:59)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.auth.AuthFactory.(AuthFactory.java:48)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.handler.IQAuthHandler.(IQAuthHandler.java:74)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.XMPPServer.loadModule(XMPPServer.java:275)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.XMPPServer.loadModules(XMPPServer.java:251)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.XMPPServer.start(XMPPServer.java:198)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.XMPPServer.(XMPPServer.java:117)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:82)

at org.jivesoftware.messenger.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:46)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)

at com.install4j.runtime.Launcher.main(Unknown Source)

Server halted

Hey David,

Hmm, seems that the RADIUS module should be updated since the JiveGlobals class has been moved to another package. If you have access to the source code of the module then just change the JiveGlobals package from org.jivesoftware.messenger to org.jivesoftware.util and then rebuild the module.

Regards,

– Gato

Hello,

A new version has also been posted at the sourceforge jradius file release section.

Cheers