Real-time video in the web-browser

This is a speculative idea, and actually a bit tangential to Openfire/XMPP. I am interested in doing remote realtime 3D rendering on a server, which is viewed in a web-browser. The key thing would be that the user does NOT need any plugin, i.e. it can be achieved in HTML5 (well we can allow Flash if we have to)

In a stackoverflow discussion the idea that this is somewhat similar to live web-chat came up. I don’t know anything about HTML5 video but does it provide an open way to consume video from any source? Then I thought that since XMPP is the standard for chat, perhaps people on this forum might have some smart ideas about the problem.

Is real-time video-chat something a browser can do in HTML5?

Is Openfire a technology from which I could get any ideas how to do it?

Does your render engine really provide a stream? You could try http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/mjpg-streamer/index.php?title=Main_Page but I have no idea how much “real-time” delay is introduced.

Is real-time video-chat something a browser can do in HTML5?
Yes

Is Openfire a technology from which I could get any ideas how to do it?
Creating real-time video is one thing, you may use it for chat.

Not quite sure what you mean by “does it provide a stream” but I think the answer is “no”. The render engine simply runs at some speed - let’s say 30fps. Each frame it renders the 3D scene and we can access that as a buffer of RGB pixels, exactly like holding a bitmap in memory.