Registration Fields

Hello all,

I need to ask a few questions. I’'ve looked into other jabber servers and none of them seem to be as extensible as wildfire, but I want to find out if this is plausible before setting to work on it.

I want to require additional information for registration (a few things from JEP-0077), such as Address, City, Name, Email address, etc etc. Glancing at the Wildfire plugin architecture, it seems that I can create a plugin, and register an IQHandler which is mostly a copy of IQRegistrationHandler, yet with additional information. The only issue I see, upon my brief glance at the source, is that I see no real way to attach these values to a user object. I assume that this is what user properties are for (on the User class), yet I see no ‘‘set’’ methods for these. How does one set these properties, and consequently save them

Can anyone tell me if this will work, and if this approach is sound? Also, is there any issues with writing this plugin without Open Sourcing it? I’‘d love to release it back to people, but as it stands, it’'s not my decision…

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Regarding the legality of your plugin:

My understanding of the GPL states that if you distribute a modified version, you must have the source availible under the same license. But that means if you never distribute your changes, you dont need to distribute the source, and thus can keep any licence you want on it. Im not a lawyer, and my intreprtation may be wrong.

Now, you could also pay for a wildfire license from Jive Software, and then use the dual-licenced aspect of wildfire to create a commercial license. You would need to discuss that with Jive, though.

slushpupie wrote:

Regarding the legality of your plugin:

My understanding of the GPL states that if you distribute a modified version, you must have the source availible under the same license. But that means if you never distribute your changes, you dont need to distribute the source, and thus can keep any licence you want on it. Im not a lawyer, and my intreprtation may be wrong.

That’'s also the interpretation of the guys that wrote that license, so your guess is pretty good.