Registration/LDAP/Groups

Is it possible to make the registration plugin work when using (read-only) LDAP? Technically my LDAP users (Windows AD, but could be anything) already exist so none of the events in the registration plugin occur. If you could do all the same things for users who are logging in for the first time (since that information is available I believe) instead of registering that would be ideal.

That, or have a default group whose members are users who do not belong to any group at all and which group is only shared with admins, who when seeing them would place them in their appropriate group(s). “New” users could automatically fall into this group.

Hi!

Have you been able to solve this problem? I am also working with Windows AD and was surpised to find that all the AD users are already registered…

Sorry, I have not.

Hi Guys,

I apologize for not seeing this post when it was originally made. When using LDAP Wildfire doesn’‘t really know if a given user is logging in for the first time. However, it maybe possible to have the registration plugin look at the users roster when they log in and if they don’‘t have any roster entries the plugin could assume the user hasn’‘t previously signed in and be consider a newly registered user. Or, the registration plugin could keep its own list of registered users but that would probably require it creating it’'s own table in the database which might be overkill. What do you think?

This is issue is actually something we’'ve been looking at how to deal with for the url=http://version2software.com/products/v2statsV2Stats plugin[/url]. On the Registered Users chart for that plugin the numbers can be a bit misleading if used with LDAP since there maybe 1000 users would could be using Wildfire but only 500 that have ever actually signed in and used the software.

Thanks,

Ryan

Has there been any update to the Registration Plugin for AD users? I am already using the V2stats plugin and it is very misleading.

any update to this would be great.

thanks

loonybin88

Hi Jason,

No, there hasn’'t. I was hoping to get some feedback from the community on the best way to handle “new users” in an LDAP environment before making any changes to the Registration (and V2Stats) plugin.

Do you have any suggestions, or do you like the idea of only counting registered users if they have at least one contact?

Thanks,

Ryan

well that might work somewhat. I wonder if there is a last logon date, where ldap actually authenticated the user, field in the DB. if so that could be used to determine if they have actually logged on.

jason

Isn’'t there a last login field?

Hi Jason,

That might be possible since Wildfire does have support for url=http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0012.htmlJEP-0012[/url], so that is definitely something we can look into using.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan

Can you create a jira issue to show “Last Login time” in “User Summary”?

Regards,

wmhtet

Hi wmhtet,

Looks like Gato already created an issue, JM-595, in response to a different thread.

Cheers,

Ryan

Thx Ryan/Gato

Regards,

wmhtet