Remote MUC logging appears to not work with the Monitoring plugin

We are running 3.5.1 with the newly released Monitoring Plugin (upgrading from Enterprise). It appears that even though we have “Archive group chats” and “Archive one-to-one chats” set. If a local user is participating in a MUC on a remote server that remote conversation is not logged. hoever a local user having a conversation (one-on-one) with a remote user is indeed logged.Is there a setting to capture remote MUC’s that local users are participating in?

Hey John,

That is correct. The chat archiving feature does not archive group conversations that are being hosted in remote servers. There is no way we can implement it in a correct and complete way. If you think otherwise please let us know.

Thanks,

– Gato

I am willing to look in to the issue. Could you point me to the relavent documentation or XEPs that I would need?

Hey John,

Our chat archiving solution is not following XEP-0136: Message Archiving. The closest section of that XEP to our implementation would be the Automatic Archiving. Anyway, the problem is conceptual.

Given the fact that the room lives in a remote server then how can Openfire get the chat transcript of the remote room before a user of the local Openfire joins the remote server? In other words, the remote server will not send to the local Openfire the entire room history of the room. Moreover, the server may not even have it since it may only be keeping the last X messages.

Regards,

– Gato

I understand the conceptual difference howeverm, the local user is the concern of the local chat server and if that server is to archive the local users activity then only the remote room history that is accessible for the local user needs to be archived… The assumption that is made with archiving is not to archive everything that happens in the world but everything that a particular user sends or receives. If the user dose not have asccess to the room history then I don’t see it as something that would have to be archived in the first place.

In any event, I will start looking in to enabling, if I endup with a patch is there a place I can submit it?

Hey John,

jhart wrote:

I understand the conceptual difference howeverm, the local user is the concern of the local chat server and if that server is to archive the local users activity then only the remote room history that is accessible for the local user needs to be archived… The assumption that is made with archiving is not to archive everything that happens in the world but everything that a particular user sends or receives.

Good point. However, that was not the requirement we were after. For groupchats we wanted to capture the transcript of the room. Its not the transcript from the user perspective. I have the impression that XEP-136 will be a better fit for your needs. I know that someone implemented the XEP-136 for Openfire so you can give it a try as another alternative.

In any event, I will start looking in to enabling, if I endup with a patch is there a place I can submit it?

Code contributions can be posted here and/or you can send them to me or Daniel. We would gladly review them and incorporate them as part of the official product.

Thanks for your help,

– Gato

It is now 7 years later. I am running OpenFire 3.10.2 in multiple locations. Using the Monitoring/Archiving plugin v1.4.4.

I too am trying to have my local OpenFire server archive messages that were sent to local users where were participating in a remote server’s MUC.

I realize this may not be a supported feature. I wondered if the new monitoring/archive plugin v1.4.6 that implemented XEP-0313 changed anything on this front. From my reading - I doubt it - but wanted to recheck to make sure.

Thanks,

Scott