powered by Jive Software

Remote server service discovery

I have connected two servers through white-listing.

Users on each box can send messages to each other.

Service discovery locally works.

Service discovery on the remote server fails. I get to see that chat rooms exist, but I cannot browse.

Here is a snippit from the transactions:

Anybody got any idea why I’'m getting the “remote-server-not-found” message? Do I need to add conference.replying-host.com to my hosts file or something? Seems stupid if I do.

I have also now installed Spark and have duplicated the error (initially I use Psi).

When I type the hostname in “Add conference service”, Spark correctly lists “conference@hostname” as being an available service. But when I double click the conference host, I get this error (from log):

SEVERE: Problem when loading conference service.

remote-server-not-found(404)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.ServiceDiscoveryManager.discoverInfo(ServiceDiscoveryMa nager.java:413)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.ServiceDiscoveryManager.discoverInfo(ServiceDiscoveryMa nager.java:379)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.conferences.BookmarksUI.getConferenceServices(Bookmar ksUI.java:494)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.conferences.BookmarksUI.access$600(BookmarksUI.java:7 0)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.conferences.BookmarksUI$12$1.construct(BookmarksUI.ja va:427)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:129)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Jun 21, 2007 12:20:37 AM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error

So, I am assuming that we have a bug here and that this error is client independent.

Since I have no idea how the boxes talk to each other, I was hoping someone with more experience of this might be able to assist here.

Thanks

cLive ; - )

Message was edited by: cliveholloway

Message was edited by: cliveholloway

it should be conference.hostname and not conference@hostname

Sorry. Typo. It does list conference.hostname.

We have confirmed that the issue is with the server to server communication, but openfire’‘s debug messages aren’'t exactly helpful. All it says is “remote host not found” without actually stating which host it is trying to contact.

I was hoping that someone might be able to fill me in on what host the server is failing to contact.

My stab in the dark guess is that it’'s an internal DNS issue, and that openfire is trying to lookup the IP for conference.hostname.com rather than just for hostname.com

It would be nice if someone could confirm or kill that theory for me. Surely someone here must know how the server works? Anyone?

We finally resolved the issue.

In “Server to Server” settings, under the “Allowed to connect” section, you need to explicitly list the service name as a host.

I think this is a bad terminology issue somewhere. To me, a service conference.hostname runs on host “hostname”. It does not have a DNS entry, therefore it is not a host.

Perhaps the documentation on this page could make it clear that each service must be listed separate from the host that runs it. ie, change:

“Use the table below to define the allowed remote servers and their settings.”

to

“Use the table below to define the allowed remote servers/services and their settings.”

And maybe change the Domain heading to “Domain/Service”.

This is probably not the most elegant suggestion, but something does need to be done to clarify that DOmain is not necessarily a domain.

hi, i am currently trying to allow 2 wildfire to communicate with each other.

but i cant seem to get the hang of it.

is there anyway that you would suggest on how do i test on whether one server is talking to the other?

so far, i am able to ping using the ip address of one machine to another.

need your help badly to strike some light.

TIA.

I’'ll assume you have local users working on each host…

Let’'s say you have two hosts - host-a.com and host-b.com

Install and start openfire on each. Under Server Settings -> Server to Server, enable the service and select Anyone under Allowed to Connect (this is just for testing!)

Then check your ports are accessable:

In a shell on host-a, type telnet host-b.com 5269

You should see a response like this:

Connected to host-b.com (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX).

Escape character is ‘’^]’’.

where XXX… is the IP address. If you see this, hit CTRL+], type quit and hit Enter.

Repeat the other way round.

If either of these telnet connections fail, check your network is allowing the packets through.

If everything’'s cool, go back to the web admin, change the Allowed to Connect to White List and hit Save Settings.

Then enter the partner hostname under Domain (leaving the posrt as 5269) and click Add Server.

Repeat on the other host.

You should now be able to send messages between users of both servers.