powered by Jive Software

Removing some available emoticons

I have my boss pretty well sold on Spark and OpenFire Enterprise to replace our current software, with 1 sticking point: he doesn’t want the emoticons to be used.

I should clarify, specifically, he doesn’t want the smilies. He does actually like the Alert, Plus, Minus and Information emoticons, since we keep the entire group aware of system outages, absences, etc through a multi-user conference. I’ve found that just removing the icon files from the xtras/emoticons/whatever.zip file causes all kinds of issues, I assume they are called or referred to by something else. What I need to know is if it’s possible to remove the extra icons to repackage the Spark client for distribution.

I’ve got a trial version of install4j, but I’m having a heck of a time with it (most likely since I know zilch about Java). I haven’t created any useful packages yet. What I have managed to do is frustrate myself to no end. Any help from the community on this would be gratefully accepted.

There is an Emoticons.plist file inside of every emoticon package, which describes what regexpression should be replaced with what icon. I suppose you should delete it there too and then repack the package.

That gets me closer, but not quite there yet. My plist file now looks likethe file below. In the Spark client, the chat controls for spell checking and the emoticon menu are not being displayed, regardless of what icon set you pick. IN addition, spellchecking apparently stops wroking alltogether.

I have removed the unused icons from the Default.adiumemoticonset.zip and modified the Emoticons.plist file as below. I’ve tried it with a Thumbs.db file, without a Thumbs.db file, and with a Windows generated Thumbs.db file.

What I end up with is 1 emoticon set that is usable, but no graphical menu for people, and no spellcheck functionality. Any help on this would be appreciated.

<?xml version=“1.0” encoding=“UTF-8”?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC “-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN” “http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd”>

<plist version=“1.0”>

<dict>

<key>SparkSetVersion</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>Emoticons</key>

<dict>

<key>alert.png</key>

<dict>

<key>Equivalents</key>

<array>

<string>(!)</string>

</array>

<key>Name</key>

<string>Alert</string>

</dict>

<key>info.png</key>

<dict>

<key>Equivalents</key>

<array>

<string>(i)</string>

</array>

<key>Name</key>

<string>Info</string>

</dict>

<key>minus.png</key>

<dict>

<key>Equivalents</key>

<array>

<string>(-)</string>

</array>

<key>Name</key>

<string>Minus</string>

</dict>

<key>plus.png</key>

<dict>

<key>Equivalents</key>

<array>

<string>(+)</string>

</array>

<key>Name</key>

<string>Plus</string>

</dict>

<key>heart.png</key>

<dict>

<key>Equivalents</key>

<array>

<string>(heart)</string>

</array>

<key>Name</key>

<string>Heart</string>

</dict>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>