Request for help on a feature

Hey all,

A few people have asked about how they could help out with Smack. A great feature for someone to work on would be pretty-printing in the debug window. The solution would be to maintain small buffers for the input and output and to write a small state-machine that looked at each character and indented XML snippets to the proper level based on the “<” and “/>” characters being found, etc. It may be simpler to use the pretty-printing feature of a larger XML library, but this would be a poor solution for Smack since it would balloon the size of the JAR.

Regards,

Matt

Hey all,

A few people have asked about how they could help out

with Smack. A great feature for someone to work on

would be pretty-printing in the debug window. The

solution would be to maintain small buffers for the

input and output and to write a small state-machine

that looked at each character and indented XML

snippets to the proper level based on the “<” and

“/>” characters being found, etc. It may be

simpler to use the pretty-printing feature of a

larger XML library, but this would be a poor solution

for Smack since it would balloon the size of the

JAR.

Regards,

Matt

Are you planning on sticking with the 1.4.x JDK or are changes going to made to support 1.3.x?

JDK 1.3 support has fixed for beta 2. You can see the full list of bugs fixed for beta 2 on the Smack page: http://www.jivesoftware.com/xmpp/smack.

Regards,

Matt

Oh, cool. So is plan to keep Smack so that it works with JDK 1.2 and above? I was looking into your formatting request for the debugger and I just wanted to know what APIs, from what JDKs, I had at my disposal.

Oh, cool. So is plan to keep Smack so that it works

with JDK 1.2 and above?

Yep, definitely.

I was looking into your

formatting request for the debugger and I just wanted

to know what APIs, from what JDKs, I had at my

disposal.

Ahh, gotcha. The ideal would be to use no external API’'s. Basically, it would just be a very simple parser that would only understand XML enough to know that “<” start elements and “>” and “/>” end them.

Regards,

Matt