Resources per user

A few questions:

What hardware would you recommend for 500 users?

How much memory does Jive use per user? Is there a rule like "every 10 users add 100MB RAM?

What is more important for better performance, memory, processor, hard disk?

Omar

Hi Omar

What hardware would you recommend for 500 users?

Do you mean 500 registered users or 500 users online at the same time? Assuming you mean 500 registered users and about half are signed in at any given time I’‘d say 512MB of RAM would be sufficent, with 1GB being even better. Messenger isn’‘t particuarily processor intensive so assuming that the box that you’'ll be running it on can handle whatever operating system you have installed on it you should be fine.

How much memory does Jive use per user? Is there a

rule like "every 10 users add 100MB RAM?

There’‘s no hard and fast rule about how much ram is needed per user, but it’'s certainly no where near 10MB per user.

What is more important for better performance,

memory, processor, hard disk?

As I said above memory is generally more important than processoring power. Something that is highly recommended for larger installations and will help reduce server load is to use and external data source (database of ldap) for user data.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

There’'s no hard and fast rule about how much ram is

needed per user, but it’'s certainly no where near

10MB per user.

yes, it’‘s something about 1MB per user, well i’'ve noticed such behavior then testing with couple of users. But it doesnt mean that 500 users will take exactly 500MB of RAM, this will vary, and of course OS and JM load will plus to this.

And let me mention my “server” again:) It’‘s a 500MHz 64RAM 10GB HDD old IBM PC. And i have about 50 - 60 online users all the day (they are loging in with Windows startup, but not everyone is chating all the time). I check system load every day. I’'m using linux OS with 1GB swap partition, and now it uses about all RAM and 70MB of swap. I havent noticed any lags or messaging speed regression. I just want to say, that you need much RAM of course, but it doesnt mean you cant use JM with less resources. As Ryan said all depends on what these 500 users will do with IM;)