Seeing chronic outbound connection failures with 1.1.1

2007.08.21 20:48:07

org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.OutgoingServerSession.createOutgoingSession(Ou tgoingServerSession.java:258)

Error trying to connect to remote server: aim.jabber.mydomain.com(DNS

lookup: aim.jabber.mydomain.com:5269)

java.net.UnknownHostException: aim.jabber.mydomain.com

at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:177)

at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:366)

at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:516)at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.OutgoingServerSession.createOutgoingSession(O utgoingServerSession.java:253)at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.OutgoingServerSession.authenticateDomain(Outg oingServerSession.java:142)at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.sendPa cket(OutgoingSessionPromise.java:199)at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.OutgoingSessionPromise$PacketsProcessor.run(Ou tgoingSessionPromise.java:184)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java: 650)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:675)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

I am not sure quite why it is attempting to connect to the hostname aim.jabber.mydomain.com. My XMPP domain is mydomain.com and the server name is jabber.mydomain.com. But, I’d think that it would be trying to connect to oscar, not a nonexistent host in my domain.

Typically this means that a bit of a race condition occurred (we’ve seen it in the past) where openfire thinks aim.whatever is an external address, then the plugin comes up, and it can’t really take over aim.whatever but it “sorta does”. A fix for this is to go into your admin console under Sessions, server sessions, and find where there’s a reference to aim.whatever. Close that connection (it should take some other sessions with it, or at least it often does, not user sessions or anything, just ‘related’ sessions) and then reload the plugin. (you should be able to just click the reload button on the plugins page) The next release of openfire should have fixes for this issue in it though. Or at least I think I saw some in it. =)