Server does not sense connection loss

Hi,

When gateway (Hub, Switch or any other internetwork device…), between client and server, was suddenly down then server does not recognize that connection was lost.

Messages which, have been sent to recipients on other side of not closed connection, will be lost.

Nobody will receive messages, no one of messages will be stored offline.

Connection can stay opened from several tens seconds till several days.

At this moment server running under Windows XP,

Please, give me advice how to decrease loss-recognition time down to several minutes or less?

PS: In despair I have recustomized parameters IP (KeepAliveTime, EnableDeadGWDetect, TcpTimedWaitDelay) at windows registry, but it has not helped

in jabberd there’‘s an inactivity timeout setting that can be set. Is there anything like this that can be set in jive? i’'m aware that it might/would affect people who were still conencted bu idle.

Hey guys,

We created the issue JM-486 for this new feature. It may be included in the next release of the server.

Thanks,

– Gato

I think it will be also helpful for some clients behind DSL routers or mobile devices who breaks connection when idle

Thank you!

Messages which, have been sent to recipients on

other side of not closed connection, will be lost.

Nobody will receive messages, no one of messages

will be stored offline.

Shouldn’‘t the logic be more like this, so at least messages don’'t get trashed?:

if (contact logged on) {

try to deliver message;

if (message could not be delivered) {

log off contact;

store message offline;

}

} else {

store message offline;

}

Shouldn’'t the logic be more like this, so at least

messages don’'t get trashed?:

you’'d think. IIRC XMPP is supposed to be about reliable messaging

This isn’‘t a slam on jive, as i ran into the same problem with jabberd. It’‘s just surprising to me that this wasn’‘t a more obvious design characteristic from early-on. That being said, there may be other logic/design concerns in conflict with this idea that i’'m jsut not aware of.