Server/Domain Name

Hi all,

My server FQDN is im02.foo.com, when I set the domain name to be just “foo.com” this changes the server name as well. If I want to have multiple (two to be exact) servers, but I want the names to be user@foo.com and therefor the domain to just be foo.com what do I use for my configuration?

Thanks in advance,

Max

Ok. You are setting up the server during install? I am sort of confused as to how the name is changing.

Jeff

Message was edited by: jeff_garner

Hi,

I’'m also confused about this question. You may use /server-properties.jsp to change the xmpp.domain to whatever you like.

If you set up two Wifi servers with the same xmpp.domain the servers will never use s2s to create a s2s connection. Users which are using server1 will not see users on server2 and will not be able to communicate with them.

So setting up two servers with the same domain is not a good idea.

LG

I am trying to figure out how to provide some redundancy to my environment - i.e. I want to link several servers together and load balance / fail over them. In this case I want to give the user one URL (i.e. im.foo.com) to use to connect to, but I want to have each server registered with a different FQDN like im01.foo.com and im02.foo.com.

Is this possible? How do you scale an IM environment with Wildfire?

Thanks,

Max

And additionaly, my email is user@foo.com, if the server is im.foo.com I want the user account to be their email address not user@im.foo.com.

Am I mistaken, should I be doing this differently?

Thanks,

Max

And additionaly, my email is user@foo.com, if the

server is im.foo.com I want the user account to be

their email address not user@im.foo.com.

AFAIK the only way to do that would be to create your wifi domain as foo.com and use your firewall to direct jabber traffic to the proper box.

you could probably hack the code to do what you want, but i doubt you wanna hack the code

Hi,

there is the Wildfire scalability project Pampero[/b][/url], you may want to look at it. You may use different DNS names for n servers and set the xmpp.domain of each server to foo.com. Doing this s2s will no longer work, sharing a MUC across two or more servers is also no possible, so you will have seperate servers and will not like this.

Doing it the other way, setting up one DNS record foo.com which resolves to im1.foo.com and im2.foo.com will also work in a very limited way. You may encounter heavy problems when adding users to a roster etc. as each Wifi server will use its own database.

So the easiest way which comes to my mind for a very quick fail over (all connections get dropped) is a mirrored LDAP if you are using LDAP, a shadow database and two Wifi servers while you use a layer-7 switch to make sure that only one Wifi server is used at a time.

LG