Server halted

Hello there!!!

I´m from Brazil and I can´t speak English very well.

Today when I started the server it reported this error:

Database setup or configuration error: Please verify your database settings and check the logs/error.log file for detailed error messages.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:727)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.start(XMPPServer.java:446)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.<init>(XMPPServer.java:155)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.start(ServerStarter.java:105)

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.starter.ServerStarter.main(ServerStarter.java:50)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.jivesoftware.openfire.XMPPServer.verifyDataSource(XMPPServer.java:716)

… 16 more

Erro iniciando o servidor. Por favor verifique os arquivos de log para mais informações.

Server halted

I´m desperated!

What can I do?

thanx

Potiguara from Brasil

are you using the embedded database included with openfire or and external database such as MySQL?

I’m using the embedded database included with openfire.

You could try editing the openfire.xml file to force the server to let you rerun the setup. Change the . As long as the database is not bad this may fix it. Your data should be preserved.

I could rerun the setup, but when I choosed the internal databank this happened.

HTTP ERROR: 500INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR
RequestURI=/setup/setup-datasource-settings.jsp

Caused by:

java.lang.NullPointerException</h3></h3>at org.jivesoftware.database.EmbeddedConnectionProvider.destroy(EmbeddedConnectionProvider.java:99)<br/><br/>
at org.jivesoftware.database.DbConnectionManager.setConnectionProvider(DbConnectionManager.java:455)<br/><br/>
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002ddatasource_002dsettings_jsp._jspService(setup_002ddatasource_002dsettings_jsp.java:155)<br/><br/>
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)<br/><br/>
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1093)<br/><br/>
at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:118)<br/><br/>
at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)<br/><br/>
at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:65)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1084)<br/><br/>
at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:41)<br/><br/>
at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:69)<br/><br/>
at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:98)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:726)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:405)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:206)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:139)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:324)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:505)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:828)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:514)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:380)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:395)<br/><br/>
at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(BoundedThreadPool.java:450)<br/><br/>

What version of the server are you running? You could try to do a re-install with the same or newer version if it is not the latest release.

I’m using the latest version.

I’ve already tried to reinstall but did not work

I’m sending the log erro file.

That is unfortunate. It seems that your database is bad. Is this a production server with many users? Are the users individually added or added via LDAP? This may be the time to consider switching to an external database such as MySQL that has the ability to run scheduled backups of the database.

There 40 users, they are added individually.

Isn’t there a solution, did I loose everything?

Can’t the database be restored?

It is a standalone database. Unless you yourself were backing it up there is very little if anything you can do. If you do have a backup of the database you could restore it to try to resolve your issues.

If you need assistance migrating to MySQL I could try to assist you. I am running my server on Windows with MySQL. I have the database do a nightly backup incase of failure.

I do need assistance, I have already created the database, how do I use it?

You should be able to re run the configuration again by editing the openfire.xml as I instructed previously. You have your database software installed and created a database and users with admin rights to the database? What are you using for your database now?

I have already edited the openfire.xml as you instructed me, installed mysql and created a database and users with admin rights to the database.

I have attached pictures of how to setup the mysql connection. just sub in the name of your server.

It´s working!

Now I will create the accounts. What is the maximum number of accounts that I can create, what is the maximum of sessions that can be started simultaneously?

That is more dependent on the hardware of your server. There is no real limit to the users. Openfire has been tested into the 10s of thousands of users. Right now my server has 120 open sessions.