"Server has closed the connection" error

Greetings,

We have been struggeling with a certain issue with our openfire server for a while, and it seems to be getting worse. We have 2 new users that are trying to connect to our server, but they get a “Server closed the connection” on Pidgin and a similar error on Trillian. We are using 3.8.0 on Linux, and are on the latest version of both Pidgin and Trillian. Here is the debug from pidgin where the error starts:

(09:52:46) jabber: Recv (ssl)(1): <

(09:52:46) jabber: Recv (ssl)(368): iq type=“error” id=“purplee505180” to=“USER@OURSERVERNAME/98ad7277”>

(09:52:46) jabber: Unhandled IQ with id purplee505180

(09:52:46) connection: Connection error on 05599170 (reason: 0 description: Server closed the connection)

(09:52:46) account: Disconnecting account USER@OURSERVERNAME/ (02141DE8)

(09:52:46) connection: Disconnecting connection 05599170

(09:52:46) connection: Deactivating keepalive.

(09:52:46) jabber: Sending (ssl) (USER@OURSERVERNAME/98ad7277): </stream:stream>

(09:52:46) connection: Destroying connection 05599170

(09:52:50) util: Writing file accounts.xml to directory C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming.purple

(09:52:51) util: Writing file C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming.purple\accounts.xml

(09:52:52) util: Writing file blist.xml to directory C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming.purple

(09:52:52) util: Writing file C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming.purple\blist.xml

The problem fixes itself after we reboot. I can log in as the new users with no problem, but it seems like once we get more connections, it shuts them out again. I have increased the cache for Roster and vCard, but I am still getting these errors.

Is Openfire logging anything at this time of disconnect?

daryl

Your error message relates to a stanza that is sent to inform contacts of a particular person that the sender is “now playing” a particular song (the key identifier here is the http://jabber.org/protocol/tune namespace). Does the problem relate to such functionality?

Thank you! This was indeed the root cause of the problen. Using pidgins debug, I was able to determine what users had the “Now Playing” status.

As the groups were populated, it would list the users one by one. Once it got to a user with the “Now Playing” status enabled(not even using it at the time, just enabled in general), the user would be kicked off the server. I was able to use this information and delete the status from those users(Most were Adium users, the OSx version of pidgin).

Again, thank you for your help.