Server-Side History? (JEP-0136)

Does Jive Messenger have any plans to support a server-side history feature such as the one outlined in JEP-0136?

From the JEP:

“Historically, clients have archived messages in local storage. However, that is clearly inconvenient for people who use more than one client machine (home, work, mobile) and whenever people upgrade to a new machine.”

http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0136.html

Thanks for your response,

-Sarkoon

It’‘s a cool idea. However, before we spent the time to implement this JEP, we’'d want to see from the community:

• General agreement that this feature is needed/helpful.

• Commitment by client authors to support the JEP as well.

The JEP also seems to be missing a few key features such as the ability to search through the stored messages. Also, many server implementations store all messages anyway. Therefore, it would be nice if the JEP worked in that model by having search/retrieve features that could be used without explicit store commands by the user.

-Matt

create JIRA issue and let people vote if they need

Hi all,

do you know if one or more (which one?) of main jabber servers (jive,ejabberd…) will implement JEP-0136 (message archiving) soon in the futur ?

For now, hope I am not wrong, Jive proposes options only for offline message storing…

Thanks

luc

alook,

I don’‘t know of any servers with plans to support JEP-0136. We will likely do some sort of server-side history solution, but last time I looked at the JEP, it didn’'t seem like the type of approach we wanted to take.

Regards,

Matt

Well, in my opinion server side history is quite usefull feature.

Right now I am preparing to launch JiveMessenger for one of my clients, and the server side history is the only missing feature. The fundamental requirement is to allow users to log in to the server only by means of web-browser client, as light as possible, I have adjusted JWchat to this, and it’‘s fits perfectly despite the fact, that the chat history isn’‘t saved anywhere. JWChat has already implemented server side history mechanism, but unfortunatelly JiveMessenger doesn’'t have it yet.

It would be very useful, so please consider implementing it - if not as built-in server feature, then perhaps as an optional plugin?

Right now I am preparing to launch JiveMessenger for

one of my clients, and the server side history is the

only missing feature. The fundamental requirement is

to allow users to log in to the server only by means

of web-browser client, as light as possible, I have

adjusted JWchat to this, and it’'s fits perfectly

despite the fact, that the chat history isn’'t saved

anywhere. JWChat has already implemented server side

history mechanism, but unfortunatelly JiveMessenger

doesn’'t have it yet.

It would be very useful, so please consider

implementing it - if not as built-in server feature,

then perhaps as an optional plugin?

Zeank, the author of JWChat, implemented also Datasink ( http://zeank.in-berlin.de/datasink/ ):

“Datasink is an implementation of JEP-0136 (Message Archiving) written in perl.” It should be compatible with any[/b] Jabber server.

Now that Google Talk has server-side message history going directly to user’'s gmail accounts, do you think this feature request could gain some momentum?

-Sarkoon

Hi,

I would really like to get rid of the client-side log files. Storing them on a network (users home) drive is a workaround but not a nice solution.

It comes to my mind that the solution could be implemented like some other log storage options and thus use the database. This is something I do not want.

We use journaled filesystems, the database files and all native files are stored on the same SAN. For a production environment the database will be on another server, and inserts of a chatlog in a remote database is not what we need. We never need to rollback “failed conversations”

It is the same with the MUC chat logs - storing them in the database usually causes more trouble then it helps.

LG

1 Like