Server to server communication

Can Jive Messenger communicate with other Jabber servers? I’‘ve been checking it out to for a public server, and without s2s support of course it’'s pretty useless in this case :-p.

If it’'s not supported, is it planned soon after the 2.0 release or would it be better to try and code it ourselves?

Bart,

Messenger does not have server to server (s2s) support at the moment. It’'s a high priority feature, but if your team is willing to help implement it, that might get the feature done much more quickly.

Regards,

Matt

I’'ll have a look whether we can manage to do this.

Does Messenger 2 already use Java 5.0? I’'m using OS X, so I might have to wait until Apple updates Java.

Yep, Java 5.0 is already used. The OSX situation is a big bummer. We’'re hoping that Tiger is released relatively soon.

Regards,

Matt

Has anybody started this? If not, what would be involved in getting this done? Is there a JEP for this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Hey Dave,

We added support for external components so many of the changes that we have done apply also to s2s. There is no specific JEP for s2s but the information could be found at http://www.xmpp.org/specs/rfc3920.html and http://www.xmpp.org/specs/rfc3921.html. Let us know if you are planning to help adding support for s2s.

Regards,

– Gato

If there are some people already adding support I’‘d like to help. My biggest challenge helping will be the amount of time I have to dedicate to the project, but what time I can give I’‘m more than willing to. Right now I’'m intestest in knowing:

1. If anybody else is working on this.

2. How much effort it would involve to get it up and running.

3. Resources to use in getting it coded and running. (Those links are helpful!)

Personal Info: About 3 years ago I dabbled in writing a web based jabber client that communicated with a jabber server via a java servlet (basically a proxy), so I’‘m familiar with the protocol…if a bit dated in my knowledge…and memory. I’‘ve been programming in Java for the last 8-9 years, so the Java parts won’'t be hard, just understanding where to hook in and identifying what needs to be done.

Dave

Hey Dave,

This is a list of things that should be done:

. Implement a ServerSession (sibling of ComponentSession and ClientSession) that will be responsible for establishing the connection and authentication. First version will use Server Dialback and not SASL. See: rfc3920 - 8. Server Dialback

. Change the routing of IQ, Presence and Messages to consider foreign domains. Some work has been done in this area but still is incomplete. See: rfc3920 - 10.2 Foreign Domain

. Implement presence probes. See: rfc3921 - 5.1.3.4 Presence Probes

. Implement handling of presence subscriptions. See: rfc3921 - 9. Subscription States

Right now nobody is implementing these changes but many things have been done when we added support for components. My estimation is that in order to finish these changes approximately 3 weeks will be required.

Regards,

– Gato

Thanks for the pointers and direction. It will probably take me longer than three weeks since I also have RL obligations, but three weeks isn’'t that much effort either.

Is this still an active topic?

Is support for this on the Roadmap within Jive?

Thanks

pico,

It’‘s probably the highest priority feature for the upcoming 2.2.0 release. The actual work on the feature hasn’'t started yet, but will likely begin soon.

Regards,

Matt