Setting up Openfire

Good morning everyone,

I have been tasked with finding and implementing an open source instant messaging solution that will integrate with active directory for my organization. After much research it seems as though OpenFire is the solution that I need to pursue.

I opened up the installation documentation and to be honest, there wasn’t much there to follow. But follow it I did. I downloaded the OpenFire Server and began the installation. I am currently stuck at the profile settings portion. I am able to successfully create the Connection Settings and when I test I get a success message. I am connecting via Active Directory.

It is when I move to User Mapping and Group Mapping that I am getting failure messages when I test the settings. I left User Mapping at the defaults (I am not an active directory guy so I am not sure what I am supposed to input or select). I also leave Group Mapping as the default and when I hit continue I get the following error:

HTTP ERROR 500

Problem accessing /setup/setup-admin-settings.jsp. Reason:

Server Error

Caused by:

java.lang.NullPointerException at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dadmin_002dsettings_jsp._jspService(setup_002dadmin_002dsettings_jsp.java:113) at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:812) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1669) at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:118) at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1652) at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:76) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1652) at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:53) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1652) at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:80) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1652) at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:162) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1652) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:585) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143) at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:577) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:223) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1127) at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:515) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:185) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1061) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:141) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:215) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:110) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:97) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:499) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:311) at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:257) at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$2.run(AbstractConnection.java:544) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:635) at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$3.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:555) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

So basically what I am I am looking for is some line by line instructions on getting OpenFire setup with Active Directory integration so that I can start testing with the Spark application.

any and all help is appreciated.