powered by Jive Software

/setup/setup-profile-settings.jsp java.lang.NullPointerException

I have been trying to install Openfire 3.6.4 for a couple of days on different systems and kept getting stuck when going to configure it to use local users with NullPointerException on /setup/setup-profile-settings.jsp .

Full detail from warn.log

2009.06.13 12:30:31 /setup/setup-profile-settings.jsp
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.admin.setup.setup_002dprofile_002dsettings_jsp._jspSe rvice(setup_002dprofile_002dsettings_jsp.java:80)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:487)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1093)
at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.parsePage(PageFilter.java:11 8)
at com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter.doFilter(PageFilter.java:52)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1084)
at org.jivesoftware.util.LocaleFilter.doFilter(LocaleFilter.java:66)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1084)
at org.jivesoftware.util.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingF ilter.java:42)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1084)
at org.jivesoftware.admin.PluginFilter.doFilter(PluginFilter.java:70)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1084)
at org.jivesoftware.admin.AuthCheckFilter.doFilter(AuthCheckFilter.java:146)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.ja va:1084)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:360)
at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:726)
at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:405)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollect ion.java:206)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:324)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:505)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.content(HttpConnection.java:843 )
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:648)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:211)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:380)
at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:395)
at org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:488)

error.log is empty

DB as either mysql or integrated…

Using firefox 3.10 and 3.11 on Win 2003 x64, XP SP3, Vista Business.

Tried different system JRE installs, 6,14, 6.13, 6.11, 5.18

EVERYTHING produced the same error. When the error is reached on Win 2003 openfire resets openfire.xml to the install default but I did have it install onto D:\Program Files\Openfire . Using LDAP users on Win 2003 (AD) I had som LDAP issues but the install worked.

The only way to work was to use internet explorer (or IE Tab in firefox). This allowed the setup to finalise. The admin console login also has issues with non IE browser.

Is there anyway to use the system JRE 6.14 and firefox to do the whole install? I have run these as administrator

BTW, the .install4j\response.varfile has an invalid variable setting for windows.

#install4j response file for Openfire 3.6.4
#Sat Jun 13 12:25:49 EST 2009
executeLauncherAction$Boolean=false
sys.programGroup.linkDir=/usr/local/bin <<<<< problem
sys.languageId=en
sys.installationDir=C:\Program Files\Openfire
sys.programGroupDir=C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Openfire
sys.programGroup.enabled$Boolean=true
sys.programGroup.allUsers$Boolean=true

Brian

Just to add, the DNS / hostname is resolvable on all attempts.

Brian

I now have a working server and can manage it but ONLY in IE. An annoyance but one that should be able to be overcome.

Brian

Here’s how I solved this.

  1. First, I restarted the setup process by…
  2. …changing my openfire.xml entry with line true back to false.
  3. …and recreated my PostgreSQL openfire database. (This step may differ for you depending on how you originally set up your user DB.)
  4. Then, on the second step where it asked for my domain name (or whatever the caption for that text box said), I made sure I entered the value “localhost”. The first time through, it placed the name of my system, which was “system76-pc”, which did NOT point to 127.0.0.1 in my hosts file, thus causing an issue later in the setup process.

Hope this helps!

You can change default

Server Settings

Change domain to localhost

Hope this helps!

quangnguyen1986@gmail.com