Shared Groups Problem

Hey guys, I think I have run across a problem with shared groups on my server.

To test this, I created a few test shared groups called Test_Group1 and Test_Group2. After I created the groups, I went through and changed their settings and then looked at what was stored in the jiveGroupProp table.

Disable sharing group in rosters:

groupName name propValue

Test_Group1 sharedRoster.displayName

Test_Group1 sharedRoster.groupList

Test_Group1 sharedRoster.showInRoster nobody

/code

This looks correct.

Show group in all users’’ rosters:

groupName name propValue

Test_Group1 sharedRoster.displayName Test Group 1

Test_Group1 sharedRoster.showInRoster everybody

/code

This also looks correct.

Show group in group members’’ rosters:

groupName name propValue

Test_Group1 sharedRoster.showInRoster onlyGroup

/code

This looks correct too.

Show group to members’’ rosters of these groups: (Test_Group2 selected)

groupName name propValue

Test_Group1 sharedRoster.groupList Test_Group2

Test_Group1 sharedRoster.showInRoster onlyGroup

/code

This is where the problem is. Members of this group should only show up to members of Test_Group2, but because “onlyGroup” is also set, this group shows up to Test_Group2 and Test_Group1.

I am running Wildfire 2.4.4 with SQL Server 2000 and the jTDS driver.

Thanks.

Yeah, there are problems here. I recently put it this way in an e-mail to Derek:

Aargh! Further examination shows something frustrating. If I specify “Show group in group members’’ rosters” – well, I haven’‘t done that. I want to be able to specify each member’‘s group, but also other groups. So this selection won’‘t do. I figure the next one will: "Show group to members’’ rosters of these groups". But when I try to specify the group I’‘m editing as well as others I want to see it, when I save it doesn’‘t seem to save the group I’‘m editing as one of the groups that’‘s set to see the one I’‘m editing. It’‘s as if I can’‘t make the selection because the "show group in group members’’ rosters" is blank and therefore is being enforced as a “not” condition for that group. So the group I’‘m editing shows up in the full enumeration of groups, but though I can multi-select just dandy, if that’‘s one of the groups I select, when I go to save, upon page refresh that group name – the one I’'m editing – is no longer selected in the multiselect.

The short version of the problem, is that these three radio buttons need to be re-architected a bit. It’‘s proving difficult to troubleshoot other problems we’‘re experiencing (such as with presence) without confidence that problems in this area aren’'t controlled for!

It looks like what I am trying to do is not possible.

152 public Collection groupList = parseGroups(group.getProperties().get(“sharedRoster.groupList”));

165 for (Group groupInList : groupList) {

166 if (groupInList.isUser(user.getUsername())) {

167 answer.add(group);

168 }

169 }

170 }

171 }

172 else if (“everybody”.equals(showInRoster)) {

173 // Anyone can see this group so add the group to the answer

174 answer.add(group);

175 }

176 }

177 return answer;

178 }

/code

This code sets it so members of a group will always have the group they are a member of in their roster, and maybe some other people will to.

I’'m trying to display members of Test_Group1 to members of Test_Group2, but not allow members of Test_Group1 to see themselves in their roster.

Hey Caleb,

Unfortunately you are correct.

The original specification of shared group states that “show group to these other groups” means that that group will appear in the group member’'s roster (as you found in the code) and also in the rosters of the allowed group members.

However, if many people out there feel that this would be a common scenario we can reevaluate the original specification to include this extension.

Thanks,

– Gato

Thanks for the answer.

Is there any way to vote on getting this added? I need to create groups for the Administrators that no one else will see just so that it is easier for us to support them.

Please consider this message a vote for the scenario being rasied and discussed in this thread: an option whereby a shared group is shown only exclusively to members of specified other groups would be very valuable to us.