powered by Jive Software

Shared Roster Bug?

I have my Jive Messenger up and running but I’‘m still experiencing some problems with shared roster groups. I have been trying debug this thing for 2 weeks now and am starting to give up. I like how well the server works once it’'s up and running but every day I have to do the same thing to get rosters to show up for people…

1 - Have Everyone Log In

At this point they have no members on their roster despite every group in the roster being set to “Show group in all users’’ rosters.”

2 - Log in to Jive Messenger Admin and Switch Group properties

I change each group from “Show group in all users’’ rosters.” to “Show group in group members’’ rosters” and then switch it back to “Show group in all users’’ rosters.”

At this point everyone can now see everyone “log on” (they were already on, but it is just now recognizing them)

3 - Start over the next day OR if anyone else comes in after I have done the above 2 steps.

The only message I get in any of the logs on the server is the following warning:

2005.04.05 15:36:38 Connection 0 had warnings: java.sql.SQLWarning: [SQLServer 2000 Driver for JDBC]Database changed to messenger

2005.04.05 15:36:38 Connection 1 had warnings: java.sql.SQLWarning: [SQLServer 2000 Driver for JDBC]Database changed to messenger

2005.04.05 15:36:38 Connection 2 had warnings: java.sql.SQLWarning: [SQLServer 2000 Driver for JDBC]Database changed to messenger

2005.04.05 15:36:38 Connection 3 had warnings: java.sql.SQLWarning: [SQLServer 2000 Driver for JDBC]Database changed to messenger

2005.04.05 15:36:38 Connection 4 had warnings: java.sql.SQLWarning: [SQLServer 2000 Driver for JDBC]Database changed to messenger

If I connect with another user that wasn’'t connected when I do the firs two steps I get the following from the client:

EVNT: Connecting to 192.168.7.105

SENT: <?xml version="1.0"?>

SENT: <stream:stream to=“192.168.7.105” xmlns=“jabber:client” xmlns:stream=“http://etherx.jabber.org/streams” version=“1.0”>

RECV: <stream:stream xmlns:stream=“http://etherx.jabber.org/streams” xmlns=“jabber:client” from=“127.0.0.1” id=“36dd7a0d” xml:lang=“en”>

SENT: alma

RECV: alma</ digest>

SENT: almaPandion12c6e87c4cafbca0d797cef11efa234b7ee1a7af

RECV:

SENT:

SENT:

RECV:

SENT:

RECV:

SENT: ae31e9c60ad59701ea5f39be4017e051e8aa9f4b</ x>8

RECV: < /iq>

EVNT: HTTPEngine listening at port 1270

SENT:

RECV: < /iq>

The fourth to last line shows an error that I don’'t know has any relevance to the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

the Shared Roster Groups configuration is stored in the SQL-DB, you could check if the configuration is getting saved correct there …

And what XMPP-Client are you using? Have you tried another client (Pandion for example, this client seems to work well with Shared Groups).

That’'s my two points … the developers will have more tips for sure

Regards,

Frank

Currently I’'m using Pandion. I was using JBother but was having too many problems with windows errors on either side. Pandion is also much more eye-friendly for the employees (they get a kick out of the avatars and stuff)

The SQL DB has the groups set up like this… im pretty sure its storing them correctly:

IT sharedRoster.displayName IT

IT sharedRoster.groupList

IT sharedRoster.showInRoster everybody

See anything out of the ordinary?

Hey Josh,

Which Jive Messenger are you using? Many error have been fixed in the latest release. BTW, since you are using Pandion I would recommend downloading tomorrow’'s nightly build which includes a fix that is mainly targeted to Pandion.

Another recommendation I would like to make is changing the server name to something else of 127.0.0.1. This might not be the problem but it may be confusing for the users to have user@127.0.0.1 in their rosters. You should use instead the host name of the server computer.

Last question, why is it that you need to redo step 3 every day? What happens if a user logs out and logs in again immediately? Or do you have to wait 24 hours?

Try using the tomorrow’'s nightly build and let me know how it goes.

Regards,

– Gato

I was seeing the same problem similar to this using JM 2.1.2 and Pandion 2.1.1 (and 2.1.2 beta). I upgraded to JM 2.1.3 (beta?) from April 1 that’'s listed on the nightly builds page, and this problem seems to have been fixed. I can now see all the users from my shared groups.

What I was seeing occurred after trying to brand Pandion. I was testing Pandion with it’‘s default Pandion resource and everything looked fine. Then I installed my branded Pandion version and started it up with my custom resource name, “HSU Jabber.” With the branded version, I couldn’'t see any shared groups. So, I added a new user to one of the shared groups to see what would happen, and only that user appeared in my roster – none of the other users were displayed. I then loaded up plain old Pandion again and saw the same behavior – incomplete rosters. Following advice from this thread, I changed the “visibility” of the shared group and then all the users that groups appeared as they should have. Then I upgraded to the 2.1.3 beta as I already said, and my rosters are looked okay now.

I am however seeing some odd behavior apart from this issue. I’'ll post a new thread in a few minutes. Look for another “shared roster issues” thread.