Simple complete Gateway example?

I’ve been trying for 3 days without success, so hopefully somebody can help me with this. I have a simple application that takes messages from the web and passes them to a Jabber account, and takes messages from the Jabber account and processes them with a servlet. I’m using Smack with Openfire to do this. This all works perfectly.

What I WANT to do is take the message and pass it on to a user on another network (Yahoo, MSN, etc). I see how I can register the user with a gateway in the Openfire console, but it seems this is doesn’t matter to Smack? I’ve seen several examples given here in the forums, but none of them are complete. They cover discovery, or sending a message, but I can’t find a simple step-by-step example, as in “First you do this, then you do this, then you do that. And here’s the code to make it happen.”

I’m not trying to do anything complicated. I don’t need to show roster information or register new users or anything like that. All I want to do is pass messages back and forth from known accounts, with the sender on Openfire and the receiver on another gateway, and vice versa.

Can anybody please help, or point me towards a step-by-step resource?

Thanks!