Single Sign On Problem

Hello,

I have a Windows 2003 Server environment where I have Openfire 3.6.0a installed along with Spark 2.5.8. Openfire is configured to use Active Directory. When I try to connect manually I have no issue. However when I check use SSO it fails after timing out. I have not manually configured any files, other than changing the default port to 9191 for the admin page. Just ran the wizard and installed it.

The weird thing is that it worked twice for me initially. Hours and hours later uninstalling and reinstalling I could never resolve it.

The other weird thing is that I installed the day prior exactly the same way on another server at another location with the same exact setup and it works flawlessly.

I have read wiki and discussion group searches on this issue until I’m blue in the face but I can’t get over the fact that it works flawlessly at one location and not the other and even at that location it worked TWICE initially.

Please advise.

Thanks

I made this document based on openfire 3.5.x: Windows SSO procedure

Did you give the openfire server a FUlly Qualified Domain Name?

Is that name in DNS?

Did you create the keytab correctly?

Did you add the registry settings?

Did you create a krb5.ini and place it on the client?

etc

Ok I had not seen your article. However before I check all those things I say again, I did not do ANYTHING other than go through the install wizard on our own in house office server/client and it works perfectly everytime.

No keytab was created, no registry setting was modified and no krb5.ini installed. Nothing. Just click on SSO and it works…perfectly.

In fact the setup that does NOT work has the openfire server using the FQDN whereas the one that does has just the server name itself! Very odd.

I must add that if I have to add change/something on every client that is not good. It should just work.

There is little chance that spark just works with SSO without doing what I suggested. It is more likely that the password has been stored locally for the user. You can check this by opening the user’s home directory, open the spark folder, then edit the spark.properties file. If there is a password there then you are not really using SSO.

Ah, ok. I’ll check that in the morning. I’ll post what I find. Thanks again.

Also make sure the properties file is not set to save the password. This is not need either if SSO is working.

Ok made all those changes and it fails quickly now. Here is an output from the Spark Debug packet window:

thomas spark

The DC is named TECHLINKSERVER

The Domain is TECHLINK.LOCAL

The Openfire Admin name is ‘openfire’

The other user I created is named ‘XMPP’

krb5.ini

[libdefaults]
default_realm = TECHLINK.LOCAL
noaddresses = true

[realms]

TECHLINK.LOCAL ={
kdc = techlinkserver.techlink.local
default_domain = techlink.local
}

gss.conf

com.sun.security.jgss.accept {
com.sun.security.auth.module.Krb5LoginModule
required
storeKey=true
keyTab="F:/Program Files/Openfire/resources/jabber.keytab"
doNotPrompt=true
useKeyTab=true
realm="TECHLINK.LOCAL"
principal="xmpp/techlinkserver.techlink.local@TECHLINK.LOCAL"
debug=true;
};

openfire.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

en

org.jivesoftware.database.EmbeddedConnectionProvider

TECHLINK.LOCAL

true

false

For the keytab file created I typed:

ktpass /princ xmpp/techlinkserver.techlink.local@TECHLINK.LOCAL /mapuser xmpp@techlink.local /pass * /out jabber.keytab /ptype KRB5_NT_PRINCIPAL

Response was:

Keytab version: 0x502

keysize 84 xmpp/techlinkserver.techlink.local@TECHLINK.LOCAL ptype 1 (KRB5_NT_PRINCIPAL) vno 4 etype 0x17 (RC4-HMAC) keylength 16 (a_long_key_here)

Please advise.

I have since recreated the keytab file and reinstalled the openfire server and used xmpp as the admin. It made no difference though.

and have you copied all the files to the appropriate places on the openfire server and the client machines and made the appropriate registry edits at both locations?

I placed krb5.ini on my xp client root C:\

I placed the keytab file on the 2003 Server at F:\Program Files\Openfire\resources

I placed gss.conf file on the 2003 Server at F:\Program Files\Openfire\conf

However I ran your registry update ONLY on the xp client as you documented. Should I run this on the server as well?

the krb5.ini needs to be in the root of the windows directory of both the client and server. I did not modify the server registry. If you want to this is the proper string for it:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlLsaKerberosParameters

Value Name: allowtgtsessionkey

Value Type: REG_DWORD

Value: 0x01

Ok placing the ini file on the root did not resolve the issue.

However I have noticed something odd. When I tried to reinstall the openfire server and use ‘xmpp’ as the admin instead of ‘openfire’, xmpp failed when testing on the ‘Test Settings’ connection in the wizard. So I reset the password on xmpp account and then retested and it worked. Finished the wizard and then ran openfire server. Logged into the server console with no issues. Then I realized spark SSO still didn’t work and recreated the keytab file and it still failed.

For the heck of it just a second ago I tried to just login to spark WITH a password and it failed. Soooo I tried to login to the openfire console and it failed. So I uninstalled the openfire server, reinstalled and boom ‘xmpp’ user failed on the connection screen again. It seems that the keytab generation CHANGES the xmpp user’s password or otherwise disallows it from being used by openfire.

So does or does not the openfire admin need to be the same user? Very confusing.

Thanks

The admin can be pretty much any user. that xmpp user is just used for the keytab generation.

Ok on that first setup screen it has a box that says Domain: (yet the question mark help popup says that the server hostname should be listed) I have always just put ‘techlinkserver’

Is that correct or FQDN?

FQDN should be used at all times.

Ok changed setup to false and ran through and used FQDN and openfire as admin. Still no SSO.

I do not know what to tell short of SSO is damn hard to accomplish. Slushpuppy helped me and it took several days to iron out all the bugs.

Is Slushpuppy around? Should I PM him?

Im around, but not as often as I used to be. I dont work with windows, so Im not much of an expert here. I wrote the SSO stuff with my knowledge of Kerberos, and since AD uses Kerberos it became possible to do it on AD. But it certainly isnt easy :slight_smile:

From what I read here, the client is not choosing the GSSAPI method for authentication. This can be for any number of reasons, so a few things I want to know:

What version of Spark are you using?

Does Spark generate any output in its log files? (we might want to turn debugging on to get more)

What is the output from the server right BEFORE the client sends the auth packet? (it should say what mechanisms the server supports, we want GSSAPI in that list)

Spark version 2.5.8

Spark Error.log:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.createPacketCollector(XMPPConnection.java :758)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.NonSASLAuthentication.authenticate(NonSASLAuthentication .java:51)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.SASLAuthentication.authenticate(SASLAuthentication.java: 217)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.login(XMPPConnection.java:341)
at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.login(LoginDialog.java:828)
at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.access$400(LoginDialog.java:196)
at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel$1.construct(LoginDialog.java:594)
at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:129)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Nov 17, 2008 3:19:55 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log warning
WARNING: Exception in Login:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.createPacketCollector(XMPPConnection.java :758)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.NonSASLAuthentication.authenticate(NonSASLAuthentication .java:51)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.SASLAuthentication.authenticate(SASLAuthentication.java: 227)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.login(XMPPConnection.java:341)
at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.login(LoginDialog.java:828)
at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.access$400(LoginDialog.java:196)
at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel$1.construct(LoginDialog.java:594)
at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:129)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Spark Output.log:

Debug is true storeKey false useTicketCache true useKeyTab false doNotPrompt true ticketCache is null KeyTab is null refreshKrb5Config is false principal is null tryFirstPass is false useFirstPass is false storePass is false clearPass is false
Acquire TGT from Cache
Principal is Thomas@TECHLINK.LOCAL
Commit Succeeded

As far as output on the server, where exactly do you mean?

Thanks