SIP/SIMPLE Gateway?

Great to have AIM, Yahoo, MSN, and IRC Gateway.

But how about a Gateway for SIP/SIMPLE?

IMHO SIP/SIMPLE will gain more user acceptace than AIM, Yahoo, MSN, and IRC combined, as SIP gains more acceptance.

So how about it guys?

Thanks!

Ravin

Are you aware of any good java api/libraries out there for SIP/SIMPLE? Considering what it’‘s name is, it’'s kinda hard to google search for it. =)

no… NO I’‘m not looking for a “simple java api” I’‘m looking for a java api that implements simple! NO I don’'t mean an easy implementation, I mea… OH NEVERMIND!

We have been using the MjSIP Stack. MjSip is a complete java-based implementation of a SIP stack (including SIMPLE)

It provides in the same time the API and implementation bound together into the MjSip packages. MjSip is available open source under the terms of the GNU GPL license (General Public Licence) as published by the Free Software Foundation.

http://www.mjsip.org/

GATE-39 (link) =) Thanks!

Hi there,

I have done some of the implementation of a SIP / SIMPLE gateway such that the following are generally working…

1. Login / logout

2. Send and receive messages

3. Add a SIP user on roster (not yet stored so will go with server halt) and

4. Receive presence (as NOTIFY packets in SIP) from other SIP users.

I’'d like to know how to share the codes for review as well as how to continue the contribution. Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Patrickov

Wow! =) Send it on my way (jadestorm@nc.rr.com) and I’'ll take a look! We can chat about it privately!

It occured to me that I just ‘‘assumed’’ that what you wrote works with the IM Gateway plugin. Does it or is it a standalone plugin or something like that? =)

Due to startup issues, the plug-in itself is changed a bit so that the SIP part can be started.

I will tidy up the codes and send it over ASAP.

Well, I once thought there would be a gateway manager and different gateways can serve as individual plugins.

But if so the gateway framework might not be a plugin anymore…

or does the current gateway plug-in serve as a transactional arrangement? =)

Regards,

Patrickov

Patrickov wrote:

Due to startup issues, the plug-in itself is changed a bit so that the SIP part can be started.

I will tidy up the codes and send it over ASAP.

Well, I once thought there would be a gateway manager and different gateways can serve as individual plugins.

But if so the gateway framework might not be a plugin anymore…

or does the current gateway plug-in serve as a transactional arrangement? =)

Actually one of the future plans I have (would be 2.0ish) is to separate the transports themselves into plugins so that individual pieces could be updated without having to release an entire base. Doesn’‘t really matter right now since the entire thing is modified most of the time. I doubt the base plugin itself will ever be a totally incorporated part of Wildfire. But it’'ll likely end up being a plugin that has plugins. (lol) For now though, all the transports and the base plugin are distributed together.

I don’‘t suppose you would mind giving me a little tutorial when you send it on how to test it? (simple step by step "here’‘s how you connect" type thing … thing is I can’‘t seem to understand SIP/SIMPLE so I wouldn’'t have the slightest idea what server to connect to, or whatever hehehe) Would I need to run my own SIP server?

Actually one of the future plans I have (would be 2.0ish) is to separate the transports themselves into plugins so that individual pieces could be updated without having to release an entire base. Doesn’‘t really matter right now since the entire thing is modified most of the time. I doubt the base plugin itself will ever be a totally incorporated part of Wildfire. But it’'ll likely end up being a plugin that has plugins. (lol)[/quote]

There’‘s a parent/child structure available in the plugin architecture that might be used for that. As far as I know, the parent/child architecture isn’'t used extensively, and there remain some issues, but the ones I encountered seem to be fixable without to much effort.

Can you please send me your code to convert SIP to XMPP and XMPP to SIP to mallik@bea.com - Thanks

Mallik

Patrickov’'s code is actually included in 1.0 Beta 8. (and the absolute latest code is included in the SVN repository for the plugin) =)

I’'ve have just discovered the SIMPLE gateway in version 1.0 Beta 8 and this is awesome ! Thank you very much to the developers.

I haven’'t been able to connect, though, but it looks very promising.

A first feedback before a more detailed one.

Instead of setting the SIP server URI on server-side, it’'d be easier if users could set their complete configuration parameters when registering via the Service Discovery ; also considering that some providers, like bluesip.net, request two more fields for registration.

So, the gateway GUI could look like this :

Registrar or SIP server:

User :

Password :

Authentication Login (optional) :

Realm/Domain (optional) :

I got to find a SIMPLE provider for more testing now.

Cheers.

I just created an issue, GATE-187, to address some of these issues. Now that’‘s not going to happen by 1.0 for sure, and it’‘s going to be a lot of restructuring work on the backend, but generally yes I’‘d like to make it a little more flexible than it is. Right now the idea is that you explicitly set the server as an admin in an attempt to make sure the admin has full control over what their people have access to. The side effect of this is that I will also need to add in another kind of access rules, where the administrator can explicitly list out what servers are permitted. It’'s going to be quite complex. =) Such functionality would be very useful for IRC as well.

Anywaym back to SIMPLE. I haven’‘t had a lot of luck with it yet myself. Still trying things out. I’‘ve got some behind NAT box issues and it doesn’'t yet support actually using a password to connect and that sort of thing.

Also, I hate to say this, but if licensing type things don’‘t get worked out, we may not even be able to include it in 1.0. =( (I might be required to strip it out) That would make me quite sad, but there’'s not much I can do about it.

Hey also, your simple list of fields that the user ought to be able to enter actually helped explain in my head a couple of SIP isms. ;D Thanks!

With the implementation of the SIP/SIMPLE gateway, could it be set up to talk to a Microsoft LCS system?

I don’'t know ;D i really know nothing about Microsoft LCS