Smack 1.5.0 not compatible with Java 1.2.2

It appears that the Smack 1.5.0 Jar file was built with Java 1.5.0 and is not compatible with Java 1.2.2. I get the following error when compiling:

error: Invalid class file format in /us1/cm/sysinfra/jar/smack.jar(org/jivesoftware/smack/XMPPConnection.class). The major.minor version ‘‘48.0’’ is too recent for this tool to understand.

I’‘ve run into this before with other Jar files I’'ve used and its been solved in one of two ways. Either the files were compiled using an earlier version of Java or the appropriate target was supplied to the 1.5.0 compiler.

Would it be possible to rebuild the Smack 1.5.0 release so that it is compatible with Java 1.2.2 and later?

Thanks,

Steve

Arg, sorry about that. We’‘ll get it re-built and then I’'ll post a new message in this thread.

Thanks,

Matt

Actually, we were already passing in a source=“1.3” so 1.5.0 should be compatible with 1.2 JVMs. I’'m not quite sure what might be going wrong…

-Matt

The problem is with the “target”. Using the sources (thanks for pointing that out), I added the “target” attribute to the “javac” element in build.xml, and rebuilt with Java 1.5.0_02. Now I can compile sources with Java 1.2.2. The change was necessary in 2 places, below is one of them

<javac

destdir=“${compile.dir}”

includeAntRuntime=“no”

debug=“on”

source=“1.3”

target=“1.2”

Would it be possible to get an “official” rebuild of Smack 1.5.0?

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks for the bug report. New build uploaded!

-Matt