Smack 4.0.5 to 4.1.0

Hey!

I was using Smack 4.0.5 and wrote a really minimal client which worked fine. Now I updated to 4.1.0 and I can’t even compile.

Why does your Documentation not reflect what has been changed?

I posted all the source on Stackoverflow. Please help me change the source to work with 4.1.0.

Thank you!

Why does your Documentation not reflect what has been changed?

Because 4.1 is not released. Besides, the announcement of the 4.1 alphas mentions the Smack 4.1 readme.

Unfortunately 4.1.0 is already available over public Maven and Gradle repos. And 3.x.x is the only other version I can find there.

It really took me some effort to migrate from 3 to 4. I don’t want to go back to version 3.

Could you please provide me with a working client example? It is not much code that I posted on Stackoverflow. Could you please fix it?

Or could you please submit 4.0.5 to the public Maven repositories?

Additonal question: The changes from 3 to 4 were really major and now from 4.0.5 to 4.1.0 they are major again.

How about backwards compatibility?

Unfortunately 4.1.0 is already available over public Maven and Gradle repos.
Those are alpha versions (and marked as such).

It really took me some effort to migrate from 3 to 4. I don’t want to go back to version 3.
You don’t need to, stick with the stable 4.0 version.

Could you please provide me with a working client example?

I suggest having a look at Flowdalic/smack-examples · GitHub

Or could you please submit 4.0.5 to the public Maven repositories?

Smack 4.0 is available on OSS sonatype, so it’s found on maven central. Current stable is 4.0.6

How about backwards compatibility?
Smack is only API compatible between patch level releases. Most, but I can’t guarantee all, API changes on documented in the READMEs. You are able to find out what changed, if it’s not documented, by looking the source code history using git.

Thank you very much for this in-depth answer! Keep up the great work!