Solution: Combine LDAP fields for Roster

I have been trying off and on for a while to figure out a way to show my users’ extension next to their name in the roster. I read several forum posts on the topic of combining LDAP fields when configuring the User Mapping, but they all said the same thing. Combination of LDAP fields is not supported blah blah blah…

So, I took a different route. I decided to combine the LDAP fields and store the result in a separate, empty LDAP field (this is all within Active Directory). So I took the **displayName **field (first name last name) and combined it with the **telephoneNumber **field (extension number) and stored it in the info field under the Telephones tab. My info field (called ‘Notes’ under the Telephones tab) now looks like this: Joe User (x123).

Then in the Openfire console I went to Server - Server Manager - System Properties and changed the ldap.nameField from the default of cn to info. And that’s it! Now my users are listed in the roster with their full name and their extension.

And if you are wondering how you will update the info field for all 3,000+ of your users then you should check out ADModify. It allows you to perform bulk updates in seconds. The syntax I used was: ‘%displayName%’ (x’%telephoneNumber%’)

1 Like

Thanks for sharing