Some advice before I start to implement Wildfire!

Hi All.

I am just about to start to implement Wildfire for my website that I run. What I am not sure from what I have read is how this is going to work. Say I have a website running as www.mywebsite.co.uk and I install Wildfire, will it overwrite my httpdocs directory rendering my website useless when I use the rpm install? Should I not install Wildfire as a subdomain (e.g. chat.mywebsite.co.uk)? If so, how do I do that?

Sorry, these are probably very simple questions, but want to be safe rather than sorry, so thought I would ask the experts

Hi waveyuk,

Welcome to Jive community

I am just about to start to implement Wildfire for my website that I run. What I am not sure from what I have read is how this is going to work.

Have you been to Wildfire Documentation page?

Say I have a website running as www.mywebsite.co.uk and I install Wildfire, will it overwrite my httpdocs directory rendering my website useless when I use the rpm install?

Don’‘t worry about that. Installation files will be in a specific directory, normally /opt/wildfire. Wildfire will have it’‘s own web server but it won’‘t overide your apache or whatever you have. Wildfire web server will be listening on port 9090 and 9091 (for SSL) and is meant for Wildfire administration. Your web server will normally be listening to port 80 and 443. Unless you have some other application server listening on port 9090 and 9091, you’'ll be safe.

BTW if you’'re running RedHat, Wildfire rpm will create ‘‘jive’’ user, which is the user who should be running Wildfire. Also, rpm will install SysV script, namely wildfired.

Should I not install Wildfire as a subdomain (e.g. chat.mywebsite.co.uk)? If so, how do I do that?

Wildfire doesn’'t require you to have subdomain to run. You can have any domain name you want for your server as long as your clients can resolve the domain name.

Sorry, these are probably very simple questions, but want to be safe rather than sorry, so thought I would ask the experts

I’‘m no expert myself You’'ll get to know more about Wildfire in no time

Hi, and thanks for the welcome!

Cool, I hadn’‘t realised WF has it’‘s own web server… probably missed that bit! I’'ve looked at so many “Jabber” type servers in the last week, and hence came to expect most of them needed some sort of sub-domain to work. Obviously the developers of WF have thought this through a lot better!

I’'m looking forward to getting it working… although no doubt I will run into issues at some point! However, the nice thing about WF seems to be that it has a huge following and a lively active community of users to help out along the way

Right, well, thanks again for your advice! Can’'t wait to get down to some serious work on the server now! hehehe

Cheers

Dave