Someone's opinion for my Chat project?

Hi,

Could someone give me his opinion ? I am into a big dilema.

I am used to do front end developement (HTML/CSS, Jquery) but this time I have to make a Java stand alone application.

I am not a Java expert so… I would need to find an easy way to make this project. It is a Chat with a very sophisticated design. It needs the basic features of a chat (nice login dialog, historic of the conv, presence etc …). It also needs to integrate audio call and video conference.

I will use openfire as a xmpp server (which is great). And my first idea was to make a Spark IM plugin that will redesign the whole chat (which has to be graphicaly completly different to Spark IM). I am afraid that the Swing library isn’t beautiful enough for my exigent client (I might be wrong). He needs a whole ajaxed futurist UI.

That’s why I am thinking about making a completly new messenger using JavaFX 2.0 and Smack API. I think that I will be able to do the Chat basic functions but I am afraid of the Audio calls and video conference parts. Somebody just told me that Smack API can handle this parts but I didn’t find any documentation on about how to do it.

I have seen that some xmpp messenger use SIP and audio/video codecs in C language (jitsi) but I am afraid that I have not enough expertise for doing that. There are also the audio input and webcam detection that I feel hard to do …

I will be very greatful to any advice and opinion.

Best Regards,

Vincent.

Hi Vincent

did you finf a good way to do what you were supposed to doMy situation is almost like you,and implementing Voice an d video chat is really important for me,so any answer would be appreciated.thanx