Sound and File Transfer problems in OS X

ok, ok, I get very annoying today filling your forum with me queries, but I am heavily testing Spark these days, because we want to use it in our project infrastructure, also with many Macs.

however, there appears to be two more problems:

(1) Sound is not working in OS X; In the preferences I defined, that I want a sound, when a message arrives, but Sparks stays silent

(2) I am playing around since hours to make the file transfer work, no way.

I tried to enable and disable the proxy on Wildfire, but it does not work neither way. Spark always writes: negotiating, then sending, but then it terminates…

any ideas? is this my issue here, or a Spark problem

ah, yes, and between Spark and Psi it seems not to work at all; however, I would be happy if it would work between two Spark clients…

best regards

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reports. Obviously, although a bummer there are bugs, we are very happy that we have such great people reporting the issues. So to address these two issues:

1. Sound - Do you have sound files specified in the preferences panel?

2. We have never heard of any file transfer issues happening on the Mac, especially between two Spark clients. Is the proxy defined correctly? What are your specified settings.

Thanks,

Derek

1. Sound - Do you have sound files specified in the

preferences panel?

Yes, I checked it again: I left the default settings from Spark, pointing to the sounds delivered with Spark; by default all sounds are disabled, but I enabled the sound for “Incoming Messages”.

And just tried it again: no sound. Moreover I was “Sparking” the whole day and no sound so far…

1. We have never heard of any file transfer issues

happening on the Mac, especially between two Spark

clients. Is the proxy defined correctly? What are

your specified settings.

I don’'t know. i tried it with and without Spark Proxy set on (Wildfire).

Also there I left the defaults. “Proxy Service Enabled 7777”

however, I also disabled it in between, but it did not work either way.

To be precise: the transfer was not in the same (local) network. I was at home, WLAN to provider; and the colleagues where at office. I have Mac Powerbook G4 with Spark, one colleague had also IMac G5 with Spark and the other colleague Windows PC with Spark. Always the same Spark Version 1.1.4

no idea so far.

maybe some Firewall issues?

Could you probably publish somewhere a comprehensive document listening all ports that have to be opened, so that the communication works without problems?

thank you!

Alex

Now I figured out something strage:

I used JWChat from some public Jabber server to contact me on my Wildfire server with Spark. Communication was working BUT the funny thing is: when I sent a message via JWChat/jaim.at to my own Wildfire server/Spark I GOT a sound notification.

When I send a message from some other account on the same Wildfire server I get NO sound notification.

this is strange isn’‘t it? But this seems to be pretty clear a Spark bug, don’'t you think so?

Hi Alex,

I really wonder whether it is the Spark sound notification or the JWChat one.

LG

I don’'t know. the whole thing is odd.

I tried it again now.

JWChat does not seem to make “noise” when sending a message, but this time also Spark was silent. I got a notification from JWChat when a message arrived there but not the other way round. Silence everywhere…