Spark 2.5.1: Issues with typing notifications

apart of discussion about protocol standards i belive there are 2 issues in Spark:

1. i started to type and then just logout. Spark tab is still showing “typing”. I can see “user went offline” message in chat window, but this tab could be not in focus at the moment, so i wount notice that user is actually offline. Should be changing to offline bubble at once, even if logged out client didnt send packets) too. Well i’‘m testing it on localhost, so i cant continue typing all the time. So when i open chat window i’'m not typing in other client any more. But roster is still showing typing icon.

This is still not fixed SPARK-583

Testing it with other user using Exodus. If chat window with Exodus user is opened and this user starts to type, Spark is showing typing. Then i send a message, and Spark is changing exodus user’‘s icon to online. Then i start to type again in exodus, Spark is showing typing. Then i stop typing or even close chat window in Exodus. Spark is still showing typing. This really annoys me at work, i’'m waiting for a long for the message, but dont get one. So i relogin to see that that user is not typing.

If i send one message to Spark user and he doesnt answer, soevery new message i type to him, he wouldnt get typing notification. Until Spark user sends something in reply. Then it starts to get typing notes from other user.

This may not be a Spark issue, but an Exodus issue. Other clients inform Spark whether or not the user is typing, Spark has no way of knowing the other user has stopped typing unless it receives a notification. My guess is that Exodus isn’‘t sending that it isn’'t typing when the window is closed. If you check the packet traffic you should be able to see if this is the case.

Thanks,

Alex

I see. I have tried with Psi and Spark is noticing that Psi user stops to type. So Psi is sending packets. Now i remember that i see typing stack forever when using Exoduses at work. But maybe Spark can have some mechanism to turn off typing presence if there is no activity for a long time. Say for a minute (this is still an IM, not an email ). I dont know whether Exodus is sending packets.

And often i see inconsistency of presences in roster and tabs. Roster is showing typing, when i open chat with that user, tab is showing only available and not typing.

wroot wrote:

And often i see inconsistency of presences in roster and tabs. Roster is showing typing, when i open chat with that user, tab is showing only available and not typing.

This happens not with Exodus only. If i was chating with someone and close its tab in Spark and this users is typing something again, then i see typing in roster but if i open chat window with that user right away ,it will show online green bubble instead, though still showing typing in roster.

Btw, Psi is not reacting to Spark packets, but Exodus doesnt notice Psi ones. So whos making this right after all?

Thanks for the report Wroot. I’'ve verified that this occurs and have filed SPARK-711 to fix this issue.

Cheers,

Derek