Spark 2.5 Beta Released

As another follow-up, we changed the directory structure so that 2.5.0 beta (2.4.1) will NOT be automatically downloaded by users.

-Matt

53MB of memory usage here as well… wasn’'t it supposed to be less greedy ?

Thank you!

By default (without -server flag or explicit -Xmx param), java will take as much as 64M of memory.

Only for the pure JAVA VM part, you have to add the platform libraries as well (.dll or .so to integrate java in the current OS), so final may be as big as 80/90Mo … maybe more

If you want to lower this usage, you have to define a -Xmx30M (for example) … but be sure of what you do, it might cause swap then …

PS: maybe I’‘m wrong, and Xmx is alreday defined is Spark script … or .exe on windows, but I can’'t look in this weird .exe

Can the Mac users get a Universal binary? Pretty please?

ok, but then what about “Better Memory Management” and “Increased Performance” stated as added/improved in this release ?

Actually the memory usage has improved dramatically. We have moved over to a much more efficient transcript handling as well as better collection of unused objects. Although the lower number still stays around what previous clients did, the average usage memory is lower. As for performance, the improvement is from the new embedded JRE 1.6 which has dramatically improved performance, both in the simple tasks of opening windows, to bringing spark to the foreground.

Cheers,

Derek

Any word on integrated windows auth (NTLM)? I was really looking forward to this in 2.5 and waiting to deploy to my company until then!

Thanks,

Ryan

I cannot connect to Wildfire 3.2.0 RC2 with the new spark 2.4.1. I upgraded from wildfire 3.1.1 (Linux) and spark 2.0.8 (windows). Spark gives me the message that either username or password is incorrect

My spark logs show this:

Connection failed. No response from server.:

at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.startup(PacketReader.java:170)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.initConnection(XMPPConnection.java:827)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.connectUsingConfiguration(XMPPConnection. java:786)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPConnection.connect(XMPPConnection.java:1228)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.login(LoginDialog.java:607)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.access$400(LoginDialog.java:181)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel$1.construct(LoginDialog.java:504)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.SwingWorker$2.run(SwingWorker.java:129)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

java.net.SocketException: socket closed

at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)

at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.readBytes(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.implRead(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.read(Unknown Source)

at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(Unknown Source)

at java.io.BufferedReader.read1(Unknown Source)

at java.io.BufferedReader.read(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.util.ObservableReader.read(ObservableReader.java:42)

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.fillBuf(MXParser.java:2971)

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.more(MXParser.java:3025)

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.parseProlog(MXParser.java:1410)

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.nextImpl(MXParser.java:1395)

at org.xmlpull.mxp1.MXParser.next(MXParser.java:1093)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.parsePackets(PacketReader.java:398)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader.access$000(PacketReader.java:45)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.PacketReader$1.run(PacketReader.java:77)

Yes I am wondering about SSO as well? I’'ve been waiting on deploying spark because I read this would be in 2.5!

Message was edited by: aelix

Oh, SSO is coming. We will have it in the 2.5 final release. Just couldn’'t get the work in for the beta.

Cheers,

Derek

I am also anxiously awaiting SSO/NTLM authentication. Keep up the great work! Thanks.

I had the same problems with the updates, 1200 user downloading the same update, was killing our wan links not too mention our users aren’‘t local admins so they couldn’‘t install the update in the first place and everytime they opened spark they’'d be prompted again. That is one “Feature” that definately needs to be removed from spark. My solution to this was downloading the source code and removed the update code. Works fine now and when I decide to put out a new version i simply build it with my changes and package it as an upgrade to my original msi package and let SMS push it out to all my clients.

Thanks for the update, I can’'t wait, you have an awesome product going!

So many requests. So what about adding more chekcboxes to Contacts menu?

Show Offline Contacts in their groups

Sort Contacts by presence (for the upper option)

No Groups View - yes, again. I’‘m thinking about this often. Because with our complicated nested roster structure at work i often have to scroll up and down to find some persons (not for chating, so i could just use Find). Sometimes i just have some list of workers (in alphabet order) and need to check if they are online, so i would just put all contacts in one group and go through the list. As admin i can use Sessions Page for that, but i have to be logged in, and it’'s not really convinient (usernames only). And maybe someone would prefer to use such view all the time. So i dont need to delete all my groups and put everyone together to please someone.

ddman wrote:
multiple chat rooms open and the divider is in different locations

Ak, i’‘ve never opened multiple roms, so it’'s a bit tricky… Maybe saving the divider location of last closed room? But you can close a bunch of them as there is only tabbed mode in Spark Maybe saving the last change of divider location no mater which room it was in. Just make this location a default for any new room opened. It wount be ideal. But i just hate draging it every time Or you can change this hardcoded location and just push it a bit to the right, so the roster would take much less space than chating.

When i right click systray icon a small window with JMC and close cross appears in upper left desktop corner.

Is there at least a plan to offer universal binaries for the Mac? Every single Macintosh sold at this point is an Intel Mac.

Java apps are automatically universal, but yes, I am planning on making sure a universal application stub is in there at some point soon. I wouldn’‘t expect to see much difference from it, but there’'s no reason not to.

2.4.1 Mac OS X Client is unusable! Could you please look into that ASAP.

I cant bring open conversation windows for some of my contacts

Also I cant see messages for those I can bring up - when I send a message - cursor just comes back to the beginning of the line and nothing happens. Receiving messages is also somewhat random - often it just bring up window with nothing in it and I have people saying they have sent me messages but I never received them!

Other weird behavior - some messages I sent are sent days later instead! Bizzare…

This basically makes me unable to chat with anyone!

As for the Phone plugin - I have to reinstall it every time I restart Spark client as it is not there anymore!

Well I can see it in Installed Plugins - but I cant see it working on my client window anymore.

I have to remove it, restart Spark and install it again to get it back working. Thats very annoying!

All the above bugs make OS X client pretty much unusable - had to go back to 2.0.8

Message was edited by: spol