Spark 2.8 login problem

I will reply there.

I canā€™t login also!!!

Different setup.

Previous I was running latest 2.7.7 official build with Openfire 4.03 with standalone database (I have no AD integration) and no problems at all. This working right before I installed 2.8.

Updated to the new 2.8 build and now every time I try to enter it says ā€œInvalid username or passwordā€. Obviously I didnā€™t change those.

Although I didnā€™t change anything, I changed my password to another and still the same error.

The ā€œAccept all certificatesā€ option, no matter the state, it doesnā€™t solve this problem.

Hereā€™s the log:

ago 26, 2016 12:05:34 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error

SEVERE: connection error

org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException: java.security.cert.CertificateException: Hostname verification of certificate failed. Certificate does not authenticate 192.168.1.165

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPC onnection.java:1029)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.access$300(XMPPTCPCon nection.java:956)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader$1.run(XMPPTCPConnecti on.java:971)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.security.cert.CertificateException: Hostname verification of certificate failed. Certificate does not authenticate 192.168.1.165

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.proceedTLSReceived(XMPPTCPConnecti on.java:775)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.access$1000(XMPPTCPConnection.java :140)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPC onnection.java:1022)

ā€¦ 3 more

Can anyone help me??

1 Like

Nuno, are you putting IP address 192.168.1.165 in the Server field of your Spark? What is the name of your Openfire server? You can check it when logged into Admin Console (Server Name). You should put Server Name value instead of IP into Server field. Then go to Advanced menu on the Login screen and uncheck Automatically discover host and port, then put 192.168.1.165 into host field and press OK. Then try logging in.

I already tried every imaginable and possible ip/dns, so to speak.

I try to put the ip address, the dns name, nothingā€¦

My Server Name stated in the Server information, is the ip address , 192.168.1.165

By the way, I never have Automatically discover host and port option checked.

I have moved every issue to a separate thread (which are not solved yet), because it will become hard to track conversations when 3-4 people post into same post.

Hi wroot. Sorry for the late reply, I havenā€™t been at work today. Anyway, yes, the solution offered in post 10 by speedy that worked for Kyle also worked for me. Iā€™m confused why the logon procedure changed with this version though? I guess Iā€™ll need to send an email to all my users with the new login instructions before they upgrade. Thanks.

Grahame wrote:

Iā€™m confused why the logon procedure changed with this version though? I guess Iā€™ll need to send an email to all my users with the new login instructions before they upgrade. Thanks.

Thatā€™s because Smack 4 library is more strict about SSL\TLS certificates and if you are not using xmpp domain to login, then it doesnā€™t match certificate issued to your server, making it invalid and possible forged. I think looking forward it is better to fix the issue with the domain name of your server, though it might not be easy or change the instructions as even 2.7.7 version might stop working when Openfire 4.1 come out.

All my users were could not login after updating to 2.8 as well. We do not use AD authentication, just a simple internal IM box for the company. Changing the server in the client to the name of the server instead of IP and going into advanced, unchecking automatically detect host/port and entering in the server IP and port worked for me. I believe I also had to check accept all certificates since we are using self signedā€¦back up and running using those settings.

I canā€™t login alsoā€¦

I use ejabberd as IM server. psi im client can login successfully but spark canā€™t!

I create a self-signed cert to ejabberd server and spark works now.

The root cause is that psi.im can prompt the user whether the temporary trust or permanent trust of the target im server, and spark canā€™t!

Spark allows you to accept self-signed or invalid certificates, by marking that checkbox in the ā€˜advancedā€™ settings of the login screen.

Guus, i think his issue was, that he had incorrect certificate at first and was setting Psi to accept it anyway. And now he has correct yet self-signed certificates and Spark 2.8.0 accepts such by default, hence it logs in now.

Yes, Spark doesnā€™t have a dialog to add exceptions. There is a ticket for this https://issues.igniterealtime.org/browse/SPARK-1203

Guus, I admit I have used the wrong certificate before, but I marked the checkbox (accept all certificates) at that time, spark it still canā€™t login.

As wroot said, spark need a GUI dialog to prompt user temporary/permanent cert even it is invalid.

Y1DORTy.png

To Avoid this Error durring Login to Spark Called:

spark unable to verify certificate

1. In Spark Login Window or Box, Click on > ā€œAdvancedā€ Button > Next add a checkmark on these Two Options called:

- Accept all certificates (self-signed/expired/not trusted)

- Disable certificae hostname verification (not recommended)

1. Click >** OK** > And Login to your Account. (It should now log you in Successfully and without any Error!)