Spark building, deployment and others

Hi,

My goal is to make some changes in the client to deploy on a small web community. Making changes on images, logos, icons, texts and so, and deliverig it to users as a new IM client to interact with each other on that community. I would like to get some pointers on how to get started.

For example, I would like to make an installation file that connects to my own server (openfire) automatically. Forn now, I’'d like some info on how to make the build and how to set any parameters to it.

Also, lets say I manage to deliver the customized client and one day Spark comes out with an update… I’'m guessing all users will receive a popup telling them to update, and when they do it will either breakdown or update to a non customized version… am I right? how do I disable (or dodge…) automatic updating?

Finally, is it alright if I rename and re-skin the client? Always keeping it open source and reference to its original…

Thanks in advance,

Ignacio

1. You can disable updates by using Spark Manager (which will set the ‘‘current version’’). If you don’'t change that version, clients will not update

2. You can download, modify and recompile the client, changing whatever you want. Others have done this previously.

3. There is a Spark skinning service. This will allow you to change the appearance of the client and auto configure it to use your server. You can find details on this on the Ignite web site.

D

Thank you for the prompt reply, anything is useful since i’'m just starting.

1. I’‘ve seen in the forums that the Spark Manager is only available on the commercial release… I’‘m sticking with the open one. so I’'m looking for a workaround for this.

2. Thanks, i kinda knew but I wasn’'t sure.

3.I was hoping to do as few changes myself. I have good knowledge of java, some c# and some (less) c++ and we’'re forming a dev group to research and develop. (should i be able then to understand and modify the code?).

The changes I’'d like to make:

-Change all icons, images and so *For sure

-Make it connect always to a specified, fixed server *Desirable

-Build it with all changes.

I’‘ll try to get some info on how to build and then surely i’'ll come to bother you guys again.

Thanks!

I’‘ve seen in the forums that the Spark Manager is only available on the commercial release… I’'m sticking with the open one.

Check out this forum thread: http://www.igniterealtime.org/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=25851&start=25&tstart=0

Thank you, I’'ve just downloaded the spark manager, great news.