Spark certificates management update

I have installed a new certificate.

I deleted the spark profile and try again.

Here, of course, it’s strange, the default Root certificate is already in the trusted certificates.

I add a CA certificate and now Spark does not ask me about the certificate and just connects, then the problem was in the expired certificate.

Can I connect to your server? Can you provide the certificates that you imported, so that I can try on my laptop?

I am now noticing that you have configured Openfire with two certificates. This can lead to very unexpected problems. Although this depends a little on the version of Java that you use, typically, Java will almost randomly choose one of the installed certificates even if it is expired, while the other one is not.

I advice you to remove all certificates from Openfire except for the one that you want to use.

Unfortunately, this server is inside the network, and I cannot give access (no rights), but I can provide certificates.

I installed a new certificate after my first post.
Ok, I deleted the old certificate.

But why does Spark suggest that I add a certificate to the trusted ones if the Root certificate is already in Java?
If I add an intermediate RSA 2018 certificate then Spark will quietly connect.

Here is the public key of the certificate chain, hopefully it helps:
INTERMEDIATE_CA.crt (1.6 КБ)

From my tests, I can make two conclusions:

1. If you have an expired certificate (but the Root and CA certificate are valid) and you have enabled:
    Accept expires then you will get this error.
    2)This can be resolved by removing the CA certificate. If you delete the Root certificate, then Spark will still give an error. Therefore, I think Spark only sees the first CA and does not see the entire certificate chain = (

I can confirm that in Spark 2.9.4 if you import a valid CA certificate then Spark will just connect, it’s great!!

But I’m worried that your SSL will expire then you get an error: “Certificate path validation failed”

I think Spark should connect to the server even if your SSL certificate has expired and these items are enabled.
What do you think?

With these settings, I think Spark should accept the end-entity certificate, even if it is expired. If one of the intermediate certificates, or even the root CA certificate is expired, I’m not so sure if we should allow that with this setting. If that is now not the case, I’d be happy to leave that as-is.

So the fact of the matter is that my SSL certificate has expired.
But the Root certificate and the CA certificate have not expired.

My ssl certifiate - 17 sep 2019 - 16 oct 2020 (has expired)
My CA certificate - 06 nov 2017 - 06 now 2027 (GeoTrust RSA CA 2018)
My Root Certificate - 11 nov 2006 - 10 nov 2031 (DigiCert Global Root CA)

Therefore, I expect that if I enable the buttons in the screenshot above, I can go in, and I will not get an error.

Yes, I think that your expectation is correct.

But this does not happen = (
I get this error even if I enable these buttons.

I am trying to reproduce this problem, but so far, I’ve been unable to do so. Can you please copy/paste the stacktrace that is under the ‘details’ button @ilyaHlevnoy?

sure

org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: java.security.cert.CertificateException: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Certificate path validation failed
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1176)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.access$1000(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1092)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader$1.run(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1112)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: java.security.cert.CertificateException: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Certificate path validation failed
	at sun.security.ssl.Alerts.getSSLException(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.fatal(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.fatalSE(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.serverCertificate(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.ssl.ClientHandshaker.processMessage(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.processLoop(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.ssl.Handshaker.process_record(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.readRecord(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.performInitialHandshake(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.ssl.SSLSocketImpl.startHandshake(Unknown Source)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.proceedTLSReceived(XMPPTCPConnection.java:856)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.access$2000(XMPPTCPConnection.java:155)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1171)
	... 3 more
Caused by: java.security.cert.CertificateException: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Certificate path validation failed
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.checkServerTrusted(SparkTrustManager.java:97)
	at sun.security.ssl.AbstractTrustManagerWrapper.checkServerTrusted(Unknown Source)
	... 14 more
Caused by: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Certificate path validation failed
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.doTheChecks(SparkTrustManager.java:127)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.checkServerTrusted(SparkTrustManager.java:93)
	... 15 more
Caused by: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: validity check failed
	at sun.security.provider.certpath.PKIXMasterCertPathValidator.validate(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.provider.certpath.PKIXCertPathValidator.validate(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.provider.certpath.PKIXCertPathValidator.validate(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.provider.certpath.PKIXCertPathValidator.engineValidate(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.cert.CertPathValidator.validate(Unknown Source)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.validatePath(SparkTrustManager.java:274)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.doTheChecks(SparkTrustManager.java:123)
	... 16 more
Caused by: java.security.cert.CertificateExpiredException: NotAfter: Fri Oct 16 15:00:00 MSK 2020
	at sun.security.x509.CertificateValidity.valid(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.x509.X509CertImpl.checkValidity(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.provider.certpath.BasicChecker.verifyValidity(Unknown Source)
	at sun.security.provider.certpath.BasicChecker.check(Unknown Source)
	... 23 more

With @ilyaHlevnoy’s help, I’ve finally been able to reproduce this problem. I’ve raised it as https://igniterealtime.atlassian.net/browse/SPARK-2194

I’ve also identified the cause of this problem. The code to skip the date validation is using an API method that is intended for a very similar, but different purpose. To me, that was not clear even after reading the documentation (I had to debug, which is where @ilyaHlevnoy’s help was invaluable).

A fix has been supplied in https://github.com/igniterealtime/Spark/pull/553

1 Like

I am waiting build from bamboo for test. Thank you very much for paying attention to this problem.

Here you go https://bamboo.igniterealtime.org/browse/SPARK-NIGHTLY-1547/artifact/shared/Install4j-generated-media/

1 Like

I checked the fix, it works!
Thank you so much!

Now if I use an expired certificate on the server and I have a CA certificate added to Spark then I get the “Certificate expired” error. This is what I expected.
If I click on the “Accept expired” button then I can log into the server. This is what I expected.

if I use a certificate that is valid until 2021 on my server and I have a CA certificate added to Spark, then I immediately connect to the server.
If I don’t add the CA certificate to Spark then I will get a notification asking me to add a new certificate to Spark, which is what I expected.

I think this topic can be closed as resolved

1 Like

I have marked https://igniterealtime.atlassian.net/browse/SPARK-2194 as fixed, but i’m not sure if work on other tickets in the first message is completed.

I’ve just created a new PR in https://github.com/igniterealtime/Spark/pull/555

WIth that (assuming that @ilyaHlevnoy doesn’t find new bugs with it :slight_smile: ) we can close the other issues too.

1 Like

https://bamboo.igniterealtime.org/browse/SPARK-NIGHTLY-1550/artifact/shared/Install4j-generated-media/

Unfortunately, I can still repeat this bug that I showed in the video.

but along with this I get a lot of errors related to the certificate.
warn
ноя 05, 2020 2:10:54 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log warning
WARNING: Certificate doesn't have issuerUniqueID: CN=GeoTrust RSA CA 2018,OU=www.digicert.com,O=DigiCert Inc,C=US
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.CertificateModel.<init>(CertificateModel.java:94)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.CertificateModel.<init>(CertificateModel.java:69)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.CertManager.fillTableListWithKeyStoreContent(CertManager.java:246)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.CertificateController.loadKeyStores(CertificateController.java:95)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.loadKeyStores(SparkTrustManager.java:381)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.<init>(SparkTrustManager.java:68)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.getTrustManagerList(SparkTrustManager.java:72)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkSSLContextCreator.setUpContext(SparkSSLContextCreator.java:40)
	at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog.retrieveConnectionConfiguration(LoginDialog.java:299)
	at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.login(LoginDialog.java:1085)
	at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.access$900(LoginDialog.java:365)
	at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel$3.construct(LoginDialog.java:905)
	at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.SwingWorker.lambda$new$1(SwingWorker.java:139)

WARNING: Certificate doesn't have subjectUniqueID: CN=*.coleman.ru,O=LLC KS Soprovozhdeniye,L=Moscow,C=RU
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.CertificateModel.<init>(CertificateModel.java:99)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.CertificateModel.<init>(CertificateModel.java:69)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.CertManager.fillTableListWithKeyStoreContent(CertManager.java:246)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.CertificateController.loadKeyStores(CertificateController.java:95)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.loadKeyStores(SparkTrustManager.java:381)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.<init>(SparkTrustManager.java:68)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.getTrustManagerList(SparkTrustManager.java:72)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkSSLContextCreator.setUpContext(SparkSSLContextCreator.java:40)
	at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog.retrieveConnectionConfiguration(LoginDialog.java:299)

WARNING: Cannot build certificate chain
java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty
	at java.security.cert.PKIXParameters.setTrustAnchors(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.cert.PKIXParameters.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.cert.PKIXBuilderParameters.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkExceptionsTrustManager.validatePath(SparkExceptionsTrustManager.java:94)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkExceptionsTrustManager.checkServerTrusted(SparkExceptionsTrustManager.java:44)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.doTheChecks(SparkTrustManager.java:111)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.checkServerTrusted(SparkTrustManager.java:92)
	at sun.security.ssl.AbstractTrustManagerWrapper.checkServerTrusted(Unknown Source)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.proceedTLSReceived(XMPPTCPConnection.java:856)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.access$2000(XMPPTCPConnection.java:155)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1171)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.access$1000(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1092)
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader$1.run(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1112)

WARNING: Certificate doesn't have issuerUniqueID: CN=GeoTrust RSA CA 2018,OU=www.digicert.com,O=DigiCert Inc,C=US
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.CertificateModel.<init>(CertificateModel.java:94)
	at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.lambda$login$2(LoginDialog.java:1198)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

WARNING: Certificate doesn't have subjectUniqueID: CN=*.coleman.ru,O=LLC KS Soprovozhdeniye,L=Moscow,C=RU
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.CertificateModel.<init>(CertificateModel.java:99)
	at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.lambda$login$2(LoginDialog.java:1198)
	at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.lambda$login$2(LoginDialog.java:1202)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.lambda$login$2(LoginDialog.java:1202)

error

ноя 05, 2020 2:10:53 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error
SEVERE: Exception in Login:
org.jivesoftware.smack.SmackException: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: java.security.cert.CertificateException: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Certificate path validation failed
	at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1176)
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: java.security.cert.CertificateException: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Certificate path validation failed
	... 3 more
Caused by: java.security.cert.CertificateException: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Certificate path validation failed
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.checkServerTrusted(SparkTrustManager.java:96)
	... 14 more
Caused by: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Certificate path validation failed
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.doTheChecks(SparkTrustManager.java:126)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.checkServerTrusted(SparkTrustManager.java:92)
	... 15 more
Caused by: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Path does not chain with any of the trust anchors
	at sun.security.provider.certpath.PKIXCertPathValidator.engineValidate(Unknown Source)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.validatePath(SparkTrustManager.java:270)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.doTheChecks(SparkTrustManager.java:122)
	... 16 more

ноя 05, 2020 2:10:54 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error
SEVERE: Validating path failed
java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Path does not chain with any of the trust anchors
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.validatePath(SparkTrustManager.java:270)
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.doTheChecks(SparkTrustManager.java:122)

... 3 more
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.checkServerTrusted(SparkTrustManager.java:96)
	... 14 more
	at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.certificates.SparkTrustManager.doTheChecks(SparkTrustManager.java:126)
	... 15 more
Caused by: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Path does not chain with any of the trust anchors
	... 16 more

java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Path does not chain with any of the trust anchors

... 3 more
	... 14 more
	... 15 more
	... 16 more

... 3 more
	... 14 more
	... 15 more
	... 16 more

ноя 05, 2020 2:10:55 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error

... 3 more
	... 14 more
	... 15 more
	... 16 more

... 3 more
	... 14 more
	... 15 more
	... 16 more