Spark Chat Error

Our users are experiencing the same problems. Sporadic users are reporting the same behavior mention above and getting the exact same error also. Is there a solution to this problem?

Aug 17, 2009 9:17:17 AM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log errorSEVERE: Error sending messagejava.lang.NullPointerException at java.util.Hashtable.put(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.text.SimpleAttributeSet.addAttribute(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.text.StyleConstants.setForeground(Unknown Source) at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.TranscriptWindow.insertMessage(TranscriptWindow.java: 181) at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.rooms.ChatRoomImpl.sendMessage(ChatRoomImpl.java:259) at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.rooms.ChatRoomImpl.sendMessage(ChatRoomImpl.java:245) at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.rooms.ChatRoomImpl.sendMessage(ChatRoomImpl.java:220) at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatRoom.checkForEnter(ChatRoom.java:473) at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatRoom.access$200(ChatRoom.java:72) at org.jivesoftware.spark.ui.ChatRoom$2.keyPressed(ChatRoom.java:255) at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.keyPressed(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Component.processKeyEvent(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.JComponent.processKeyEvent(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) at java.awt.KeyboardFocusManager.redispatchEvent(Unknown Source) at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchKeyEvent(Unknown Source) at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.preDispatchKeyEvent(Unknown Source) at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.typeAheadAssertions(Unknown Source) at java.awt.DefaultKeyboardFocusManager.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

mfernandez wrote:

Our users are experiencing the same problems. Sporadic users are reporting the same behavior mention above and getting the exact same error also. Is there a solution to this problem?

Wipe out this user’s profile (C:\Documents and Settings\User\Spark) and start over. Use 2.6.0 Beta 2 or even newer SVN versions http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/docs/DOC-1822

We are on 2.6 beta 2. Your suggestion works in most cases, but not all. Still have users we haven;t been able to fix using the suggestion mentioned above.

Also, when this occurs some users can spam the alert (bell icon) constantly. There is no pause (grey out of the alert) icon. Just thought I’d pass this along as this might be a clue as to why this problem is occurring.

have you cleared their spark folder in their user profile. it is generally a corruption there that causes this behavior. upgrading to the new versions does not remove the error without clearing the spark folder first. also use a copy of spark with out the jre included.

I’m having this error too. Same setup as well, installing to the users profile dir (docs&sets\username\sparks) and 2 of the machines i have installed this one are having the exact same problem. To a more interesting degree sometimes the chat window won’t even open, but when it does the text stays int he box. I’ve uninstalled, re-installed, cleared the appdata profile etc to no avail. I’ve installed JRE6u20, same issue. I’m thinking this is permissions somewhere. If I run sparks from their machine under my name it works fine (i’m a domain admin). Anyone got anything??

i have the same problem with two users, i solve it temporary by deleting teh spark profile on win 7. I hope new version solve the issue.

I’ve browsed the forums for a while, but i can’t seem to find a solution to this (old) problem.

I’ve build a custom Spark installation with Java bundled using a 2.7 nightly. A while after the initial installation on about 70 clients, this same problem started happing for our company too.

It has been a couple weeks since i last did some troubleshooting, but i think that closing the client and restarting Spark was what i normally did.

However the problem seems to keep coming back and i would really liek a solution or i’d have to switch XMPP clients, which i really don’t want because i havent been able to find an alternative thats as easy to modify to our needs.

The problem for us is that the screen where you type a message in doesnt clear itself after sending your message, also if you hit enter again, it will just send the same message again. You can however manually clear your message. The recipient will receive the message as normal and the sender doesnt see his own messages.

Also, the person having this problem will be able to send buzzers without delay.

Lookign forward to a possible solution.

This is the latest thread about this problem started by me http://community.igniterealtime.org/thread/50747

And a proposed patch attached to the ticket SPARK-1546 The patch hasn’t been reviewed yet. So, if you can try applying it and test in your production and then report how it goes, maybe it will be included in the SVN.

Though i haven’t seen more reports about this problem for some time (we ar on the recent 610 build of the SVN).