Spark Crashing computer!

Got to have an answer for this. I was in the middle of an After Effects render, i went to resize my spark window and my computer crashed losing the render. The sun forum above didn’'t seem to offer a solution.

Well,

did you try to run Spark with one of these parameters: -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true , -Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false or -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false ?

If you need a start script to do this let me know.

LG

i’'m not a java guy. How do i do what you are suggesting? Thanks

Hi,

save this script as spark.cmd in your Spark folder, maybe you need to adjust the first lines and then launch Spark using this script instead of Spark.exe.

Maybe you need to copy some files from Spark\resources to Spark\lib\windows. I have these files in my Spark\lib\windows folder: IeEmbed.exe jdic.dll jdic.jar MozEmbed.exe systeminfo.dll tray.dll jniwrap.dll jniwrap.lic[/b]

REM @echo off

set app_home=%PROGRAMFILES%\Spark

set java_home=%PROGRAMFILES%\Java\jre1.5.0_06

REM set autologin=-DQUERY_STRING=“username=test&password=test&server=jabber.localhost”

set CLASSPATH=%app_home%\lib\spark.jar

set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%app_home%\lib\base.jar

set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%app_home%\lib\smack.jar

set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%app_home%\lib\smackx.jar

set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%app_home%\lib\smackx-debug.jar

set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%app_home%\lib\actication.jar

set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%app_home%\lib\filetransfer.jar

set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%app_home%\lib\windows\jdic.jar

cd /d “%app_home%”

REM run in background

REM use one of these parameters

REM -Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false

REM -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false

REM -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true

REM start “” “%java_home%\bin\javaw.exe” -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true com.jivesoftware.Spark %autologin%

REM run in foreground

“%java_home%\bin\java.exe” -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true com.jivesoftware.Spark %autologin%

/code

Message was edited: (added " jniwrap.dll jniwrap.lic")

Message was edited again: (Spark 104: added filetransfer.jar to CLASSPATH)

I’'m still seeing BSDs when using -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false, I try the other two options and report back.

Thanks,

Ryan

i have made the cmd file, and launched spark with the file. But, when i close the cmd file spark closes. Is this normal? If so, I don’'t want this cmd running all the time.

Hi Flasher,

This would be just for testing. If it fixes your problem, I would make a fix in the installer to run with those given parameters.

Cheers,

Derek

Hi flasher,

take a look at the script, this one is easy. Just comment the “run in foreground” and uncomment the “run in background” option, it should look like this

REM run in background

start “” “%java_home%\bin\javaw.exe” …

REM run in foreground

REM “%java_home%\bin\javaw.exe” …

/code

LG

Hi Derek,

is it possible to add such a start script to Spark? I like it a lot, Spark starts up about 3 seconds faster than with Spark.exe.

There is a small problem with reconnects because Spark restarts itself and this fails using the script. Maybe one can change the Spark code that no restart is necessary to reconnect.

LG

Running spark with the cmd, i couldn’‘t send a message. This doesn’‘t help me any, because i really couldn’'t test it. Is there a change to the file that can be made so that spark will running as intended?

Hi flasher,

I assume you’'re online, can you login here http://www.jivesoftware.org/group-chat.jsp ? Maybe it is easier that way.

LG

Hi,

just an update about using the script. One needs to copy the jniwrap files from Spark\resources to Spark\lib\windows. One should have these files in its Spark\lib\windows folder: IeEmbed.exe jdic.dll jdic.jar MozEmbed.exe systeminfo.dll tray.dll jniwrap.dll jniwrap.lic

Without jniwrap the “Contacts” and “Conferences” Tabs will be missing and chatting is not possible.

LG

Please make the code, given by IT2000 in the reply, apart of the next spark update. This needs to be done, because a lot people will be using the product on WinXP SP2. Thanks

Hi,

using this option as default is not a good recommendation as Direct3D is disabled. Anyway I have sometimes the feeling that my gfx card displays Spark faster if D3D is disabled.

The problem has something to do with the driver of your graphics card. Maybe you can post the vendor/version/type here?

I’‘m also interested about Ryan’'s sucess, if any. And of course about his gfx card.

LG

I have a Nvidia FeForce 6800 running dual monitors. Hope this helps.