Spark does not start at all

I have installed and uninstalled and reinstalled spark. When I open the executable, it acts like its going to open, hour glass comes on for sec, then nothing happens. I had it installed at one time and it was working. Also it is working on my coworkers PC’'s just fine. The only difference is I switched from a celeron based PC to an AMD64 3000+ PC.

I saw where you needed to update Java with the windows AMD download, but when I try installing it, it stated my processor is not supported. Is there a work around? I also have tried downloading the latest version of spark and no dice.

I’'d try a fresh install of Java. Try the latest JRE, 1.5.0_06 I think it is. Does the process show up in the processes list when you start Spark?

Do you have any other workstations with AMD processors to test it out on?

Ok, I uninstalled both spark and anything that has to do with Java, then reinstalled Java and then spark. Still does not come up. Watching the processes when I start Spark, I see the process come up, then close almost right away. Mine is the only AMD available for testing at the moment

Message was edited by: JohnCason

Hi John,

may I direct you to http://www.jivesoftware.org/community/thread.jspa?messageID=111072

This thread contains a cmd start script, you may modify the CLASSPATH in it and you need to copy some files as described before using it. I did not try it with the current Spark version but it should still work.

It should give you a more detailed error message, especially if you add “pause” as last line.

It is Windows you are using, or is it a linux problem?

LG

I am having the same issue with an new install as well. There is nothing showing up in the task manager or in the processes. I have uninstalled java and reinstalled it and even tried an older version of Spark. Started with 1.1.4 and went back to 1.1.1. I also can’‘t uninstall Spark from the add remove programs I get an error that JVM has caused a fault and can’'t start.

java.lang.NullPointerException

at javax.swing.MultiUIDefaults.getUIError(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.UIDefaults.getUI(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.UIManager.getUI(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JPanel.updateUI(Unknown Source)

at javax.swing.JPanel.(Spark.java:37)

at com.jivesoftware.Spark$1.run(Spark.java:117)

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

ItsNewToYou

I have saved the script and run it as command, it does exactly like using the spark.exe, goes for second, then nothing. I also have verified that all the files that it shows should be in spark\lib\windows are there. 3 were not so I copied them from the resources folder, but it did not change anything as far as the problem. Still no error. Just does not start.

Ok. Let me add some better error handling around the tray popups and see if we can get this started. You can track the issue with SPARK-283.

Thanks,

Derek

any update to a fix on this?

What kind of Information are you looking for?

ItsNewToYou

One of my users is having this issue. Was any resolution ever discovered?

Hi,

as SPARK-283 is scheduled for version 2.0 it may take some months, probably some very long months as I don’'t want to say a year, to get resolved.

Voting for this issue may help to get it resolved earlier.

LG

Hello all

Total newcomer to Wildfire and Spark. I also have this problem, and all my organization’'s PCs are XP SP2. What would someone recommend as an alternative open-source client for me to use on our PCs?

Thanks

Tom

tomchadwin wrote:

Hello all

What would someone recommend as an alternative open-source client for me to use on our PCs?

http://www.jabber.org/software/clients.shtml

There are a suggested clients at top of the page. We use Exodus.

Hi,

it seems that Derek did fix it some hours ago … so it was a very short year (;

So 2.0 should startup fine.

LG

it seems that Derek did fix it some hours ago … so it was a very short year (;

So 2.0 should startup fine.

Great news. Where do I get 2.0? The link to the beta on the download page gives me 1.9, though the filename is 2.0.

Many thanks

Tom

Hi,

you may want to wait some days until it gets released. I have no idea if it is possible to get a 2.0alpha somewhere, maybe Derek or Matt want to post the release date and whether it is possible to get a version where this is fixed.

LG

At this time, we plan on releasing Spark 2.0 at the end of August. Most of the current work has been going into making Spark open source, so tasks such as the removal of commercial libraries, documentation, etc., have been the main priority. However, I’‘ll see if we get a 1.1.9.1 release out there which does contain many very important bug fixes. I’‘ll let you know when we’'ve decided on a date.

Cheers,

Derek

So we’‘ve been hard at work for the open sourcing of Spark. The one big issue was that we were using some commercial libraries for look and feel as well as some of the components. Each component that was commercial has been rewritten by Jive and in fact, has made Spark sleeker and faster. Also, if you would like to check out our internal releases, you just need to create an account on jivesoftware.com. Our Spark Manager is updated for internal releases, but I don’‘t see why you couldn’'t see it Note: These are internal releases and should be considered Alpha quality.

Cheers,

Derek

Derek, could you explain it better? I have a user at JS.com which i have created to download Spark Manager some time ago. But where should i login? Or maybe i should connect with my Spark to js.com Wildfire server and it will let me upgrade?

exactly. You log into jivesoftware.com and get the update.