Spark doesn't connect -- no error log entries on server or client side

The latest versions of Windows OpenFire host and Windows Spark client are installed but PC Spark client doesn’t connect. Have tried domain name (with and without the “.com”), server name, and IP address in the “domain” field. Get “Unknown connection error. Please review the logs for more information.” But there are no error entries on the client side logs nor on the server side.

Firewall on host server has all the right ports opened (checking with “netstat”).

Stumped.

Are you checking the logs at C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Spark\logs ?

What if you disable the firewall temporarily?

Turning off firewall on host server (Windows Server 2008) ALLOWS the Spark login. I don’t know why, as the the program Openfire has been selected on the firewall as ALLOWED and all of the ports needed are opened (checking with netstat). I will continue to explore that avenue, however.

Also, when it’s not connecting (firewall not turned off), the error log contains:

org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error

SEVERE: connection error

java.net.SocketException: Unconnected sockets not implemented

at javax.net.SocketFactory.createSocket(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.connectUsingConfiguration(XMPPTCPC onnection.java:573)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.connectInternal(XMPPTCPConnection. java:851)

at org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.connect(AbstractXMPPConnection.ja va:364)

at org.jivesoftware.LoginDialog$LoginPanel.lambda$login$1(LoginDialog.java:1070)

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(U nknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException

… 19 more

Personally i do not make firewall exceptions based on programs. I create a rule to let the incoming connection on TCP 5222 port for clients (and 9091 for https web admin).

OK–an explicit rule for 5222 works. No idea why because netstat showed that TCP port open (“listening”) after adding the program to firewall as allowed.

Netstat is only useful to check if Openfire is running at all (by showing that it has created the port and is listening). It shows that the port is available for connections, if nothing else is blocking it (like a firewall for outside connections).