Spark Memory Usage

should it really be taking up 62MB of memory? Gateway plugin is extremely slow. Took almost 5 minutes to populate my buddy list. Is that normal?

jA

this forum really needs some pinned thread with title “Explanation why Spark is using a LOT of memory”.

it’'s not Spark itself but a Java VM it depends on. And nothing can be done with that. Well, maybe something, but you should ask Sun Microsystems about that.

i’‘ve seen spark at a peak of 74mb this ist really too much…i’'d like to run this awful program on an Terminal server but i need min. 1 Gig of Ram to run it with 15 Users. I tried to disable the plugins but with no effect. This really suxx

deafsquad wrote:

i’'d like to run this awful program

Doesnt that sound odd?:slight_smile: Well, you dont have to. Use Psi, Exodus, etc. Spark is not designed to run inTerminal.

of course it sounds odd…im an german idiot trying to write english. i did not mean awful…i wanted to say amazing or awesome but my brain chose the wrong one, sorry.

I am now running fine with spark for about 2 month on our terminal server with about 10 useres at the same time and no problems so far except the huge amount of memory used but thats ok…everybody likes the client

deafsquad wrote:

of course it sounds odd…im an german idiot trying to write english. i did not mean awful…i wanted to say amazing or awesome but my brain chose the wrong one, sorry.

I am now running fine with spark for about 2 month on our terminal server with about 10 useres at the same time and no problems so far except the huge amount of memory used but thats ok…everybody likes the client

To be fair, the original denotative meaning for awful was a relative synonym for what we would now say is amazing or awesome. It meant to be “full of awe” with respect to the target of the adjective.

It’'s actually a relatively recent colloquialism that turned it negative.

I now step down from my soapbox and discard my grammar police badge…

Does Java version 6 do a better job with memory than 5?

Can’t guarantee, but i think it should (i think i remember talks about memory optimisations in Java 6). Derek (Spark developer) says that Spark is working way faster with Java 6, though i havent noticed significant difference. Faster doesnt mean less memory consumption though.