Spark not connecting to local OpenFire

Hi n00B here,

So I have openfire running, I have setup two users but I am struggling to connect Spark client - I connect and enter “localhost” as my domain and desktop-2n1d866 as my host.

I connect and all seems well, however when I check the OpenFire console it shows zero sessions - it also shows the user as never logged in .

I have my server properties below.

Furthermore, I add a new user, and login fine with the new user - but this user does not show in my OpenFire.

It shows DNS config error, however I have read this is irrelevant if you are testing on localhost only

Server Properties
Server Uptime: 32 minutes – started Apr 4, 2020 3:39:17 PM
Version: Openfire 4.5.1
Server Directory: C:\Program Files\Openfire
XMPP Domain Name: localhost

Environment
Java Version: 1.8.0_241 Oracle Corporation – Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM
Appserver: jetty/9.4.18.v20190429
Server Host Name (FQDN): desktop-2n1d866 \ 12x12 DNS configuration appears to be missing or incorrect.
OS / Hardware: Windows 10 / amd64

Is this a test server you only going to connect to locally from the same machine? If not, then you should reinstall and give it some better name, not localhost. Localhost as domain name will create a lot of problems. Even if this is a test server only i would pick any other name. Like that desktop-2n1d866. This would allow Spark to connect locally on the same machine using desktop-2n1d866 as domain on login screen.

If this is going to be a proper server hosting Openfire for the local network, reinstall, give it a name say “chatserver” (i don’t know your network setup, so not sure what a proper name would be, maybe chatserver.local, maybe companyname.com, etc.). Then add this name to a local DNS pointing to machine’s IP or better to machine’s name, if there is a domain service in your network (like AD).