Spark not loading Contacts from Openfire Server

I have had Openfire and Spark running great with no problems for almost a year. All of a sudden this morning I recived support e-mails from people claiming after they login they could not see any contacts.

Mine was working ok untill I logged out and tried to log back in and had the same problem with office users on Openfire but all my AIM and G-Talk contacts load and I can chat with them fine.

We are running the latest versions of both Spark and Openfire with LDAP auth against AD. No errors in error log that pertain to this issue. Neither restarting Openfire or the server helped. Plenty of memory, plenty of HDD and java seems to be running fine.

Please Help.

Is Openfire running on the same box as AD? One time, something similar to this happened to me. I am running openfire on the same box I run AD and my mail server. Someone did a windows update on the server, and suddenly, all the firewall settings were reset, or in our case, they were enabled when we had windows firewall disabled because we use a router for a firewall. So when we disabled the firewall, it worked again, but somehow, it was still having problems with the admin login. So i reinstalled and it all synched back up again. People were unhappy about having to reinvite people, but it worked. There might be a way of getting it to work without the reinstall, and try the first thing I said first, but this is what worked for me without me having to spend too long in downtime…

P.S., if you do a reinstall, make sure you remove the openfire folder after the uninstall as this contains an xml file that marks whether your admin should go into setup mode or not when launched, and it will keep readfing that the admin setup was already done and never go into it. That one cost me an entire day of aggravation.

We are running Openfire on Ubuntu Server. I double checked to make sure the FW was disabled and it is. Logs show proper authentication with AD upon login and passes all user information successfully to the Openfire server so I really don’t think its an LDAP issue.

Well, somehow, it is no longer synched to your AD, or it would work. Instead of uninstalling, go to openfire.xml in your conf folder under your openfire folder. Change true to false and save it.

This will then cause the admin tool to go back into setup mode when you launch it where you can remap your AD mappings for users and admin. If sucessfully reconfigured, you could be up and running within minutes. That might be a little brute forced as far as a solution goes, but it should work quickly.

Also, after admin setup has been re-run, i would first reboot your syatem and THEN log in to the admin tool. I know a reboot is needed if you are not using any existing user system such as ldap and instead are using their databse for users and auth. This is a known bug. However, I would reboot in the case of ladap, even though you probably don’t need to just as an added measure that couldn’t hurt.

Just went through the entire setup process again and we are still a no go. All LDAP tests worked perfectly during setup and I rebooted the machine.

Authenticates great for successfull login, but still not populating the contacts in spark.

when i go to add a contact in spark, I don’t see a list of user names. I have to type their name in and then it checks the name against AD. If it finds it, it will add the name to your visible list with a “pending” status until that username accepts the request to link up with you. try that first. If that works, then spark is working the way it should work and you just have to reinvite people to link with you. The important part is that all of your authentication works.

Ok, figured it out.

Firstly, we don’t want everyone in the office to have to manually add contacts in their roster. We have Openfire set to automaticly load AD user groups and pre-populate all our AD users on everyone’s spark roster in pre-defined groups. This apparently is where our problem began because of adjustments made to our mailling lists. If in AD you add a group within a group, Openfire will not load the users from the first group, if that makes sense.

For instance…

-AD Group 1

-User

-User

-User

-User

-User

-User

-User

AD Group 2

-AD Group 1

-User

-User

If I choose AD Group 2, Openfire will only load the 2 users listed there and will not load users located in AD Group 1.