powered by Jive Software

Spark/Openfire Search service connection problem?

Hi, not sure if this is Spark or Openfire. I have Spark 2.5.7 talking to Openfire 3.4.1, the Search service doesnt seem to work but the plugin is enabled on the server. Any idea what trick needs to be done to make it work? The Search Properties section in Openfire says its enabled…

I tried removing the search and using the LDAP search plugin but ge the same response, even when configured to be the ‘sarch.hostname’ instead of ‘ldapsearch.hostname’

Hi Andy,

Did you do a clean install of 3.4.1 or did you upgrade from a previous version of Openfire?

Thanks,

Ryan

I blew away the old database, and copeid over the config file into the new version…

What version did you upgrade from?

Does the “Advance Search” from the Admin Console work?

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

yes the advanced search worked.

Wierd thing, I restarted Spark, and got a choice of services (it found the server, found search, found conference, found ldapsearch). Selecting search made it work. Feeling happy I went and removed the ldapsearch jars from the plugins/ folder and restarter openfire. For good measure I restarted spark too (checking no old processes lying around). Guess what, I enter the same Id that work 2minutes previous and it comes up with the same error. very fishy!

The Spark logs are providing some input:

08-Nov-2007 15:54:16 org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error

SEVERE: Unable to load search services.

service-unavailable(503)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.search.UserSearch.getSearchForm(UserSearch.java:78)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.search.UserSearchManager.getSearchForm(UserSearchManage r.java:67)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.search.users.SearchForm.<init>(SearchForm.java :55)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.search.users.UserSearchForm.showService(UserSearchFo rm.java:177)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.search.users.UserSearchForm.<init>(UserSearchF orm.java:76)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.search.users.UserSearchService.processQuery(UserSear chService.java:72)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.search.users.UserSearchService.access$200(UserSearch Service.java:37)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.search.users.UserSearchService$1.finished(UserSearch Service.java:55)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.SwingWorker$2$1.run(SwingWorker.java:136)

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java: 242)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:16 3)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

Why service unavailable? I can get at the server fine via web console and other features (lookups, ims, conference rooms) work fine also, so whats special about search?

Hi Andy,

It’s strange that some services are working (sometimes ) and others are not. When you setup your server did you give it a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) and not just the machine name, i.e. openfire.mycompany.com?

Thanks,

Ryan

See this thread as it sounds like the same issue: http://www.igniterealtime.org/community/message/159828#159828

yes im using the fqd in client and server config.

No, its different. I have ldap fully hooked and and working. I can search for users, create groups that I see in Spark, create conference rooms, login, join rooms, send messages. the only broken part is the search via the Spark client, most of the time.

That thread lists a 404 meaning not contactable (server lookup problem), Im getting a 503 (contacted just not available… )

Have you tried using a different client (or two) to see if the same problem occurs?

Thanks,

Ryan

Yea, I should have mentioned, I used Pidgin, x86_64 (Ubuntu distro), works fine…

This has been filed as an issue…

http://www.igniterealtime.org/issues/browse/SPARK-874

And from the look of the ticket, its been fixed for 2.5.8 (hopefully).

Sam.

I’m seeing this too.

Upgraded from 3.3.1 to 3.4.1.

I’ve tried using the Spark .2.5.8.beta and it’s not fixed in that.

I had same issue here, i had deployed 2.5.8 to all clientes through GPO, and after some time, saw that search dont works. Then i undeployed e re-deployed the 2.5.7 version.

I use Wildfire 3.1.1 here (i know, tooo old, but works very fine for our purposes).

I tested 2.5.8 with Opefire 3.4.1 and works fine, then i suppose that is a version server-client conflict. Ill update server to latest version to solve that and other minor problems.

For now, ill keep my eyes in that post.

Thx.

I blew away the 330 database and installed 341. Search was broken with Spark 2.5.7, with 2.5.8 it all works, so far so good !