Spark running, but unable to be opened

sometimes you just need to run Spark with admin rights, because some updates needs to extreact something in Program Files\Spark. Dont know why it couldnt do this in setup process…

My workaround for now is to give domain users full access to the C:\Program Files\Spark\ folder.

I agree this is an issue and should be addressed at install. Definitely prevents AD deployment.

I had the same problem with Spark 2.5.4 and Win 2003 Terminal server clients.

It now works after uninstalling Spark and deleting C:/Program Files/Spark folder and reinstalling

To add some more detail to the issue:

I’'m having this problem with a clean install of 2.5.5 (not upgraded from a previous version)

Windows XP SP2

I’'m an admin on the box

error.log----

Exception on commit = java.io.IOException: Can’'t find registry file

Aug 8, 2007 4:30:38 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error

SEVERE:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java/awt/TrayIcon

at com.jivesoftware.plugin.jniwrapper.NativeSystemTray.(NativeSystemTray.java:102)

at com.jivesoftware.plugin.jniwrapper.JNIWrapperPlugin.initialize(JNIWrapperPlugin .java:40)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.PluginManager$1.run(PluginManager.java:398)

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Exception on commit = java.io.IOException: Can’'t find registry file

java.net.UnknownHostException: stun.xten.net: stun.xten.net

at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(Unknown Source)

at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(Unknown Source)

at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName(Unknown Source)

at java.net.InetAddress.getByName(Unknown Source)

at de.javawi.jstun.test.DiscoveryTest.test1(DiscoveryTest.java:90)

at de.javawi.jstun.test.DiscoveryTest.quickTest(DiscoveryTest.java:75)

at de.javawi.jstun.test.demo.ice.ICENegociator$1.run(ICENegociator.java:77)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I have had this happen to me w/ Spark 2.5.4 and 2.5.5 . I’m not sure if this is a clue or not, but this is what I found:

I had two users call me to say that after upgrading from 2.5.4 to 2.5.5, the “hidden app” issue appeared. So off I went to take a look. The systems are running Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP2 respectively, both are running Java 1.6.0_01. I could see Spark in the process list on both, but couldn’t get to the window itself. So, I decided to play a hunch. First, I made sure the “hidden” Spark.exe process was dead. I went to: C:\Docuemnts and Settings<user of PC>\Spark and edited the “spark.properties” file. I found the line that reads:

startHidden=true

and changed it to:

startHidden=false

I saved the file & launched Spark again. Voila! Spark works again! However: the users can’t close the window. If they close the window, Spark will become hidden again. If they do a Minimize, it will sit in the progam list where they can maximize it again.

Does this point to a possible problem? Hopefully this “hack” will help most people out

I have this same message, except for the UnknownHostException.

Further information: I’m running Java JDK 1.5.0 update 12

The Tray icon never shows, and if I tell Spark to start in the system tray, it doesn’t show up - which makes sense if it can’t find the TrayIcon class.

Regards,

Ben