Spark Starting up then disappearing on OSX

Hi,

I installed the openfire server and it seems to work. I then downloaded the spark dmg, opened it, placed the spark icon in applications and started it up. I configured it to point to the server and then I created an account. When I log in I see the buddy lists and then the spark window just disappears!!! I can confirm that the user exists on the server but as far as debugging goes I am lost!!!

Could anyone help??? Maybe i mad a silly mistake?

Thanks!

John

I starting poking around the .app file (i’m very new to mac, didnt know this was possible) and launched JavaApplication stub and i got this error

NSRuntime.loadLibrary(/usr/lib/java/libObjCJava.dylib) error.
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /usr/lib/java/libObjCJava.A.dylib:
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1822)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1702)
at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Runtime.java:770)
at java.lang.System.load(System.java:1005)
at com.apple.cocoa.foundation.NSRuntime.loadLibrary(NSRuntime.java:127)
at com.apple.cocoa.foundation.NSRuntime.(NSRuntime.java:35)
at com.apple.cocoa.foundation.NSObject.(NSObject.java:27)
at com.jivesoftware.spark.plugin.apple.AppleStatusMenu.(AppleStatusMenu.java :54)
at com.jivesoftware.spark.plugin.apple.ApplePlugin.initialize(ApplePlugin.java:153 )
at org.jivesoftware.spark.PluginManager$1.run(PluginManager.java:404)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:597)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:30 0)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:210)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:20 0)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:195)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:187)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:121)

Anyone have any idea’s??? As always you thanks for your time!

John

Hi John,

Which version of Java do you have configured as the default (Applications -> Utilities -> Java -> Java Preferences -> Java application versions)? It seems that some part of Spark doesn’t like using Java SE 6 on OSX. If Java 6 is the top most entry on your list you’ll want to move it down one place and put J2SE 5.0 (32-bit) at the top.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the help. It was the java version that was breaking it! Shame spark can’t use Java 6, luckily adium does!

Thanks again!

John

I have been experiencing the same problem and discovered as you suggested using Java SE 5 allows Spark to run on OS X.

This solution is very limiting however - I have written a SparkPlug that requires Java SE 6, Spark along with my SparkPlug works well on windows, but cannot run on MAC OS X because of this issue. In addtiion J2SE 5.0 will reach its end of service life (EOSL) on October 30th, 2009. Public releases of the J2SE 5.0 platform will be stopped at that time.

Does anyone know if/when this issue will be addressed?

As a side note - here is a link describing the incompatibility of Java SE5 on the MAC with code built using JDK 1.6 in netbeans. http://jimblackler.net/blog/?p=43

Downgrading my development enviornment to Java SE 5 is not an option for other parts of my project and based on the EOSL date in the near future does not seem a prudent move.