Spark will not run or open - tried normal stuff already

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.launcher.Startup.start(Startup.java:94)

at org.jivesoftware.launcher.Startup.main(Startup.java:44)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed \uxxxx encoding.

at java.util.Properties.loadConvert(Unknown Source)

at java.util.Properties.load0(Unknown Source)

at java.util.Properties.load(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.settings.local.SettingsManager.load(SettingsManager. java:165)

at org.jivesoftware.sparkimpl.settings.local.SettingsManager.getLocalPreferences(S ettingsManager.java:71)

at org.jivesoftware.Spark.loadLanguage(Spark.java:494)

at org.jivesoftware.Spark.startup(Spark.java:181)

… 12 more

This is the error from ~/Spark/logs/error.log

I"m using windows XP, have uninstalled Spark and reinstalled several times, making sure to delete the ~/username/Spark directory if it exists. I even tried isntalling to a different name so instead of ~/Program Files/Spark i tried ~/Program Files/Spark2, ~/Program Files/Spark3, etc. no difference. I made sure ClearType was turned off… i do have JRE installed (JRE 7), i even tried renaming the included JRE directory to jre_OLD and copied in my JRE 7 directory and renamed to just “jre”. Still the same error.

Please help! -

i know this bump is soon, but i use this at the office and can’t IM anyone right now… big pain. and since i’ve been responding to other older posts, my new one has been buried!!!

lol… any ideas anyone? thanks again!

Such issues are tough to investigate. Error logs usually are not very helpful. Btw, if you are using 2.6.3 version, then you should delete in ~/username/Application Data/Spark Maybe this will help. Or maybe you have installed something recently which interferes with Spark or java apps.

wroot… you the man!

i had completely forgotten about the directory in ~/Application Data/ … killed that and its good!

thanks!

Hey!

I wanted to share with you my situation with Spark.

As I’m just on my way to develop Spark IM across my company…

I use Java 7, and because of that I used full Spark installation (with Java inside) to create MSI installer using App Deploy.

I had some problems to run Spark on Win 7P and Vista B, and I thought it might be something with java… especially on some computers it was working, or started to work, and on some not at all.

The problem was on ESET Endpoint Security.

This program has something that is called HIPS, and even ESET is disabled till next restart, Spark couldn’t working corectlly. It works now when this module in Eset is disabled. As I got information from Eset support, it cause some problems and upgrade will be provided soon.

I have the same issue. But am suing Windows 10. Spark 2.7.6. nothing shows on the logs just says error.

Please leave the old threads rip. Create a new one and give more information. Fresh install? Server? Screenshot of error?

If you have the same issue then wroot’s solution will solve it.