Spark will not start for all users on a PC

I have Spark 2.63 installed on 25 Windows 7 PC’s. On one PC, a user can’t use Spark but others can. This particular user can use Spark on any other PC. I started the task manager to look at the processes. When this user starts Spark, i can see the process start then stop. Any suggestions as to why this happens?

Thank you,

Brock
openfired.zip (1135 Bytes)

i guess noone can answer this. time to uninstall.

When does Spark stop? After login? What’s in the error log? What is in the Smack debugger? Without this information, I would guess that you have a firewall or user rights problem.

I have the same issue on only one of our windows 7 pcs. We are using 2.6.3 in a mixed windows 7 and windows xp environment. The user that cannot use it has a remote profile. We did not do a file/settings transfer for the user, but have folder redirection setup for the remote profile since the user works on both an xp machine and 7. I’ve manually removed the application data for Spark in hopes that it would be recrated fixing the issue.

Like @Brock Goines, another user (who does not have folder redirection) can login to Spark on the same PC without a problem.

Also, to answer the question about when spark starts/stops. You cannot even see spark start up unless you have the task manager pulled up. It will run for about 1 second before stopping.

Corrupt profile on the problem PC? Try deleting %userprofile%\appdata\roaming\spark for the user in question and then relaunching the application.

klinstifen wrote:

Corrupt profile on the problem PC? Try deleting %userprofile%\appdata\roaming\spark for the user in question and then relaunching the application.

That was one of the first things I tried. I stated that in my first post but not very clearly. Also, there are no events being generated by the event viewer.

Hmm permissions issue? Do both of the users have the same rights on the %programfiles%\spark folder?

To give more details:

And no, it’s not permissions. I’ve also uninstalled/reinstalled.

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.launcher.Startup.start(Startup.java:94)

at org.jivesoftware.launcher.Startup.main(Startup.java:44)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)

at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError

atorg.jivesoftware.spark.PluginManager.deleteOldPlugins(PluginManager.java:189)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.PluginManager.movePlugins(PluginManager.java:131)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.PluginManager.(PluginManager.java:115)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.PluginManager.getInstance(PluginManager.java:97)

at org.jivesoftware.Spark.startup(Spark.java:208)

… 12 more

Caused by: java.nio.channels.OverlappingFileLockException

at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl$SharedFileLockTable.checkList(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl$SharedFileLockTable.add(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.tryLock(Unknown Source)

at java.nio.channels.FileChannel.tryLock(Unknown Source)

at java.util.logging.FileHandler.openFiles(Unknown Source)

at java.util.logging.FileHandler.(Unknown Source)

at org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log.(Log.java:59)

… 17 more

This is a re-curriing issue that we have on our Windows 7 machines. Unfortuantely i have not found a solution yet. I have deleted all instances of Spark from the machine and all profile data of the user that is affected (including app data) to no avail. I’d love to know how to fix this, does anyone else have any ideas?

is UAC disabled on that machine? If no, then try disabling it.

That did not work for the user having those troubles. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Just a reminder on my situation. There are 2 different users on this PC. One user does not have the problem at all.

you could run procmon and see if its a permissions issue.

I’ve set this program to run as administrator, so it should not be a permissions issue. I beleive neglected to state this before, you can see the process run for about 1-2 seconds before closing in the Task Manager under the processes tab though no GUI window appears.

This is diffucult to debig from remote. We do only have a small w7 user base (< 100) but I have not heard anything similar. My first idea would be to use the latest nightly for the affected PC and try this.

Are the affected user/PC old installations (specifically: Was a Spark 2.5.8 installed on those?). If yes: 2.5.8 is using a different profile location and 2.6.3 always migrates the data. Corrupt data (we have this regulary with transcripts) is screwing the client big time.

Are you installing the Saprk Version with a bundled JRE? It is recommended to use this one.