Spark Won''t Start

Spark was running fine for a couple of weeks on my machine until one morning it refused to start up. I didn’'t change anything on my computer… this is just a total mystery to me. When I double-click the icon, the process Spark.exe will load for a second in task manager but nothing else happens.

Checking the error.log file, I find this:

Exception in thread “AWT-EventQueue-0” java.lang.NullPointerException

at java.util.Hashtable.put(Unknown Source)

at java.util.Properties.setProperty(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.System.setProperty(Unknown Source)

at com.jivesoftware.LoginDialog.updateProxyConfig(LoginDialog.java:752)

at com.jivesoftware.LoginDialog.invoke(LoginDialog.java:125)

at com.jivesoftware.Spark.(Spark.java:37)

at com.jivesoftware.Spark$1.run(Spark.java:117)

at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

I have no idea what the log is trying to tell me. Anyone know what’'s going on and how to fix it?

So somehow, your settings file was corrupted or cannot be loaded for one reason or another. To fix, go to your user home (on windows, it’'s c:
document and settings
your name
spark) and delete the settings.xml file. You should be able to start Spark up after that.

I’'ll look into what could be causing this issue.

Cheers,

Derek

That’‘s really strange how your answer solved the problem I looked at the old settings.xml file and it didn’'t look too strange.

Also, I should note that this happend to me nearly simultaneously on two completely different machines on two completely different networks with two completely different logins. But not on a third machine I have set up. Very odd.

Hi Sam,

This issue is actually caused by the proxy config tab allowing you to set null values, and the config loader dying on it. So the file would look fine, but the values (null) were causing the issue. This has been filed and fixed with in SPARK-328. Thanks for the report.

Cheers,

Derek